Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

odd rocket lug Gretsch like snare is...Rogers!

This 5x14 rocket lug snare I won on feebay came in today. Had the same throw off/butt combo as the Rogers war model in the early Rogers history web page here. I thought it was a Newton model 5x14. The Rogers catalog shows the Newton with the english copy of the Leedy presto 2pt. It was bugging me so I checked the 38 catalog again and found this small throw off on the Manville model.

We have been calling it a Leedy Utility throw off. Nope. It is a Duplex! Checked Harry Canganys Great American Drum book. He shows a picture of it under the Duplex section on a Spirit of St. Louis model and lists it as the throw used on Rogers Manville too. Thanks Harry! Now we know and can correct it on the web page here. Also this confirms that the rocket lug snare that arrived today is a Rogers Newton Model. Peace, Gary

5 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Nice detective work...whoa, boy...there are Rogers folks out there that'd pay a hecka pretty penny for that snare, I'd imagine....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Jaye, Thanks! I was the high bidder at 128.00. The early NJ Rogers are usually passed over. Most want the prime OH stuff. I like it all! Those rocket lug snares are Gretsch heavy brass shells. The wood ones are 3 ply. They were getting them from Gretsch. Using different throw/butt and Rogers calf they called em Rogers in 1938. The Rogers badges and lugs came into play the year after when they added a machine shop to the calf head shop in Farmingdale NJ.

Didn't detail it yet but had to get those calf off and de funk it. Cobwebs and all...dust full grown rabbits not bunnies. The original wood flesh hoop was on top of the newer Amwraco on the snare side. Doubled up(see above pics). Still needs the full detail job but looks refreshed with modern heads. Sounds like poop with the original snares. I will tune it up with modern snares after it gets a bath. The cat digs it. Peace, Gary

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Great find Gary! Check it out - here is the patent application for the strainer in question. Looks like it was applied for by a man named Julius Meyer and assigned to Duplex. Applied for in 1913 and granted in 1914. Very cool!

I have one of these on an old Duplex drum (1910s - 1920s?). As a strainer alone it is functions adequately but as a throw-off it leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe mine is just broken....

-Lee

Posted on 15 years ago

http://com2.runboard.com/brogersownersforum.f11.t4257

Lee, Thanks for that post! I was on the patent search a few weeks back for anything to do with Joe Thompson. See above for 23 patent numbers.

Your drum is beautiful. Early bird indeed by the patent pend on the arm. Looks like they went through some subtle design changes over the years. That is the Duplex match. When this Newton arrived I wanted to check for any "Made in England" or "British Made" stamp on the throw or butt. Like I found on other parts from the same era on early Rogers. When I didn't find any I started looking through the books available. Thanks again for the patent for it. Still learning this stuff...Peace, Gary

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here