Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Odd Gretsch Snare Help

I have just completed cleaning up a 1950's gretsch snare drum and was wondering if anyone knows any other information about it. It is a 6.5 x 14 drum with 16 lugs. This seems to be inconsistent with every gretsch I've seen on the site (the 16 lug on this site says 1960's) and on ebay for quite a while. It is a round badge, white marine pearl (which you'll hopefully be abel to see if my picture works), has the lightning strainer, and has an unpainted interior with a date stamped on it. If anyone can tell me if this is just a weird model or if this model was a usual production for that era it would be great. I am not familiar with gretsch so any basic history of their snares is fine too. Thanks!

Pictures:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/LizSabol/100_0059.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/LizSabol/100_0062.jpg

I have the original hoops which are diecast. Only reason I'm not using them is because they are slightly out of round and kind of messed up the head when I tightened it down.

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi...looks like you have the "floor show" model. Your strainer is the "micro sensitive," not the lightning. The clear interior indicates a drum from the '50s or early '60s. Check the amount of plies (3 or 6) and the butt side (one screw or 4 screw). Your drum is fairly common to Gretsch collectors, but much rarer than a 5 x 14. It's a pretty desireable drum to both collectors and players. Interesting how Gretsch's white marine pearl doesn't yellow as much as the other brands' versions did.

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks Rich, I'm not looknig to sell or anything, but does the drum have a high enough value that I should have it insured. If so, what would you recommend to put it at? Thanks for the strainer name too. It looks like a 3 ply with 1 butt side screw.

Posted on 18 years ago

I'd guess the drum is worth between $600 and $800.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here