Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Odd 1993 5.5x14 Tama Swingstar

Hello, I came across this 5.5 x 14 Tama Swingstar shell and it is a pretty big mystery to me.

Most Tama Swingstar shells either have a single center bead (similar to Ludwig supraphonics) or more commonly, two separated groups of shallow beads.

This Swingstar has 4 center beads, similar to many CB700's, and also similar to many of the other made in Taiwan stamped out generic shells of the 80's/90's.

Looking through the Tama catalogs, the only reference I can find to this snare is in a 1993 catalog (image attached). These shells sound amazing when tuned up right with a good head selection, but they are very difficult to find (possibly because they were only around in 1993?).

I was wondering if anyone has any information on these shells.

Note the generic Pearl style lugs. This is an 8 lug drum.

Also note the strange Tama badge. This badge appears to be pretty rare as well, perhaps introduced for a short time in the early 90's.

My original hypothesis was that Tama had a shortage or something, and Tama purchased these shells from a generic shell manufacturer (Pearl stopped making shells for other companies pretty early on.. anyone have any idea who made most of the 80's generic shells?).

But I inspected this shell and compared it with a CB700 (4 center beads, same Pearl lug style), and I noticed the beads are different.

On the Tama Swingstar the beads are very flat. On the CB700 the beads are also flat, but the CB700 beads are less flat, and feel much more like a washboard than the Tama beads.

You could say that they are comparable shells, but the bead type does play a huge role in the sound of the drum, and I'm really trying to find the same shell again if possible.

Does anyone have any insight here? This Tama shell, while it appears to look like all of the other 80's/90's made in Taiwan shells, is a bit different. I'm wondering if there are any other drum manufacturers that used the same shell, or if this shell is specific to Tama.

2 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

My guess is that they were a "test" kit for a new factory just getting off the ground, so they were busting out the cheepest junk possible until they could get all their processes in order

Posted on 6 years ago

Is this snare the same? It appears to have the same type of beads. And a clear view of the badge. Other than Made in Taiwan I have no info unfortunately. Probably a tryout period.

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

This drum uses Pearl style lugs which is even weirder.

Posted on 6 years ago

That is the same drum! It actually is an incredible drum!

Posted on 6 years ago

Interestingly I came across this "VMI Percussion" snare drum that by all accounts looks to be the same exact drum (same Pearl style lugs, strainer and a very similar shell).

Note the center beads. They are very nearly flat. The most distinguishing characteristic is that one of the beads on the end (in this case the bottom bead) it shorter than the other beads.

It seems to be the same shell. I wonder what other brands sell this shell.

1 attachments
97.1 kB
Posted on 6 years ago

Taiwanese "Swingstar by Tama" OEM supplier was Wang Percussion from memory. Tama didn't actually have a 'new' factory in Taiwan to make drums, like nearly every other company simply used OEM suppliers

Posted on 6 years ago

Tama Swingstar snare drums from the 90's were actually decent, but are not from the same range as the later "Swingstar by Tama" line of drums and snare drums.Those were different, cheaper beginner drums. The good

Swingstars were from the late 70's into the early 90's. Your snare and the same line of drums came later.

These are not from the same lineage. I had a 6.5x14 Swingstar from 1990, and it was a beast.

The kit i had also sounded great. It had the Zola Coating and were made of mahogany.

Big, fat, warm sounding drums. At that time, i was playing hard rock/grunge/metal, as i was

in my early 20's, and it perfectly suited that music.

Posted on 6 years ago

Swingstar was dropped from the range around late 1988 replaced by the RK series Rockstar. The 'Swingstar by Tama' series was the return of that name in 1994

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here