Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.24843%

Oct 11, 2009 - Theobald Ludwig

Hey folks! Here is a piece of history that you will all be the first to see!

The Ludwig Drum Company hit 100 years, with no real mention of one of the original owners I thought I should add a little history to the web site for Theobald Ludwig (Theo).

You will find the story in Rob Cooks Ludwig Book. But here are the actual letters he sent his brother William F Ludwig Sr. just days prior to his death.

He was on a mission for the company and was pretty dedicated to go find the person from the government that had the answers he needed. It turns out that person had influenza.

William F Ludwig Jr always said that his dad would say that Theo died in the line of duty for the company and his country.

So in honor of the fact he was an original owner I put up some history for him on the main web site. Enjoy the letters and realize it is strange holding the actual letters and seeing his penmanship and the fact that he died within days of writing them.

Enjoy the history!

David

Theobald Ludwig

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/my_collection/literature/theo_ludwig/letter6_th.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 14 years ago

Great historical info here, David. Thanks for posting this!

-Lee

Posted on 14 years ago

Your welcome! Lots more never seen history to add!

David

Posted on 14 years ago

Incredible stuff, thanks David.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Extremely interesting.

I liked "they can even force us to supplies genuine Rogers". I guess Rogers calf heads were considered the best, and sounds like, the most expensive.

"Army has adopted the old long Bugle so sell all the short at cost"... funny stuff.

A little hard to tell exactly what was going on but it sounds like monkey business to get government contracts.

how things have changed...

Posted on 14 years ago

Great stuff, I remember when I first got the Ludwig books from you and I read the article. Not many people know that it was the brothers that started the whole deal. Everyone remembers The Chief, but his uncle is unfortunately a few paragraphs in a very huge history.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

From backbeatkeeper

Great stuff, I remember when I first got the Ludwig books from you and I read the article. Not many people know that it was the brothers that started the whole deal. Everyone remembers The Chief, but his uncle is unfortunately a few paragraphs in a very huge history.

Everyone seems to forget that Ludwig started out as Ludwig & Ludwig.....a partnership between two brothers that started as a drum shop selling Leedy drums and other accessories.

Posted on 14 years ago

Good on ya! Thanks

fishwaltz
Posted on 14 years ago

My complements to you David, for your development of this forum! It's special things like this that make this site the great thing that it is.

Fine stuff!

Thanks!

“In fact your pedal extremities are a bit obnoxious”. – Fats Waller
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here