Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Novus #1 and 2 how much needed?..............

I've been working on my new LBP Slingerland project and things are moving along nicely. I plan to use Novus #1 and #2 on the shells. I have a 22", 16", 13" and 12" drums. Is a 8 oz bottle of each enough to polish my drums?

Also do any of the chain stores or hardware stores carry this anyone know? I can order online but knowing a local supply would be nice if I needed more.

Thanks...........G

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

I was able to get a number of pieces done with the 2 oz. starter set of Novus 1, 2 and 3, so 8 ounces should be plenty. I bought mine from a local aquarium supply store. Apparently its very effective against scratches on fish tanks. Other than that retailer, I've only seen it online. As you've probably heard, this stuff is magic! Good luck.

60's Gretsch Round Badge 22/13/16
'71 Ludwig B/O Badge 20/12/13/14/16
'72 Ludwig B/O Badge Jazzette 18/12/14
'65 Rogers Holiday 20/12/16
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks very much! I saw the 2oz bottles too and thought I might need more. I'll see if I can find some locally and if not will just buy it online.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

Depends on how gritty your project is. My use so far has been more clean ups than really deep scouring. I suppose if you go with 8 oz, you'll be set and won't worry about running out mid-way.

60's Gretsch Round Badge 22/13/16
'71 Ludwig B/O Badge 20/12/13/14/16
'72 Ludwig B/O Badge Jazzette 18/12/14
'65 Rogers Holiday 20/12/16
Posted on 12 years ago

Yes the shells do have a bit of grime and grit. Been working on cleaning the shells with warm water, splash of dish soap on a damp cotton towel. It cleans them ok just not getting some of the gritty grime buildup off. Not sure what to do there as I don't want to use anything agressive cleaner wise on them. The wrap color is light blue pearl and has aged nicely.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

I get all my Novus products from the local Harley-Davidson dealers.

Posted on 12 years ago

I would just buy a big bottle of #2 and skip #1 which is just a final spray (probably glycerine based) to fend off dust and fingerprints. #3 is for more agressive polishing but I gotta say when I polished out my set the #2 is what did the trick. I followed it up with some Meguires Gold Class carnuba wax and they look like a million bucks. If I ever have to polish out another set I'm going to use #2 on a foam pad with a buffer.

Posted on 12 years ago

I went to my local Harley Davidson shop for #1&2. cost ~$5 each. I use &2 only & polished each piece my 22/12/14 '66 Star twice due to all the oxidation and scratches. I've got more than 1/2 bottle remaining.

They also carried superchrome, this fantastic German metal polish, that's effective and safe to use on all metal finishes.

Post some pics!

Peace & rhythm,

Brian

'65/'66 Slingerland Stage Band in Red Sparkle Pearl
'67 Rogers Buddy Rich Headliner in Blue Sparkle Pearl
'49 WFL 6.5x14 Contest Snare
'55 Slingerland 7x14 Hollywood Ace Snare
'70's Premier PD2000 5x14 Snare
50's & 70's Zildjian/Paiste Cymbals
Posted on 12 years ago

Local Harley dealer we have! I'll give them a call in the am and see what they carry. I'll check that Novus #1 spray and see if it's comparable to the Mothers detail spray I use. Yes I do plan on using a nice carnuba wax on them. This week I'll be gluing the re rings that need repair and then onto final shell clean and assembly. Spent my spare time this week sorting, bagging and cleaning all the hardware. 2 mounted tom, bass spur mounts and bass tension rods/hoop brackets are the last things I have to clean and polish. I still need a few misc parts and will post some pics as they get together. Thanks very much everyone for the info! G.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

Also, look up their website and they have a phone number to call. I did this and they gave me a few local places that carries it. It is a good product and the price I paid at a local hardware store was way less than online, especialy E-bay. So get it local!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here