Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Not Your Usual Speed King Question

Hi Guys:

I'm restoring a 1970s Ludwig Speed King. I already disassembled the springs and bearings, cleaned everything up, etc. Here's the question: it looks to me like there is a metal piece missing at the toe end of the footboard. I can't find any info on how this can be replaced or repaired. Any ideas?

thanks,

Steve

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Steve!

That missing piece is a spring steel finger, designed to keep the connector strap from coming out. I've never seen them being offered as a separate part. With vintage Speed King pedals being easy to find, you might want to consider purchasing another to obtain the footboard.

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

That item wasn't offered as a separate part as it was integrated into the footboard via a press rivet (used to secure the "connecting link").

As id4f mentioned the best option is to locate another footboard. I added a few more images and a screen shot of the parts catalog for your reference.

Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

I plan to sell this Speed King and was hoping there was a way to replace the missing piece.

best regards

Steve

Posted on 5 years ago

From Northamusi

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I plan to sell this Speed King and was hoping there was a way to replace the missing piece.best regardsSteve

Knock 5 dollars off, that thing will disconnect once or twice a year, if that.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago

If you're 'handy' that piece is an easy DIY part- cut a strip of spring steel to size/ round the edges- pry the rivet out and carefully hammer a new rivet in- Yes- not 'original' but at least a fix and not a throwaway!

Posted on 5 years ago

These parts will occasionally turn up on ebay as well. You can also try in the "Wanted To Buy" section here on this Forum.

I know that years ago, when Speed Kings were still in production, my local drum shop was able to order one for me directly from Ludwig. I doubt that's an option anymore.

To replace mine (I was in high school), my Dad's friend drilled out the rivet from the underside of the pedal, and replaced it with a screw and stop nut (nut on the underside). He used a round head machine screw with a flat underside (that goes against the top of the footboard), so it didn't stick up any more than the previous rivet did.

Posted on 5 years ago

Ironically, I just got a Speed King in the mail today and that piece was also broken on mine. I am going to try a thin yet stiff piece of plastic for this part. I have a plastic paint edger that is quite stiff yet thin, so I'm going to cut that out and fit that part in after I drill the rivet out and replace it with a screw/nut.

Stay tuned. I'll post photos when I'm done.

Posted on 5 years ago

I just repaired mine. I ended up using a piece of a plastic paint edger as source material. It worked great. Here is the thread I posted about it.

http://vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=63853

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here