Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Not vintage but... removing enamel? HELP!

Hey everybody,

I am picking up a PDP 805 kit this weekend to use as a gigging kit, that has a black lacquer finish and (factory) GREEN hardware. Looks like a sort of baked enamel finish (glossy, not like a powder coat).

I would like to remove the green. Does anyone here have any clue how I can go about doing it? I don't know whether the lugs are chrome plated underneath the enamel, but even if I can just get them down to bare metal I'd be happier than with the green.

I have considered painting the hardware with a silver enamel, but I have a feeling it will start chipping and flaking as soon as they start getting played and lugged around.

HELP!

------------------------------------------------
"I've met cats and dogs smarter than Cory and Trevor."
Posted on 8 years ago

OH man! It looks so unique though I like that green! I bet if you wore a matching green track suit while playing this kit you would like the color more! Chewie:

Prometheon.bandcamp.com
BLAST AWAY.
Posted on 8 years ago

Mr. Ogre:

I think this might be an idea best left alone. In the long run, it may prove to be costly and VERY time consuming. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!" Just an opinion. The black and green aren't that bad and they are factory. They are your drums however,and of course, you're free to do whatever you like with them.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/E1jRxwJ_7D4/maxresdefault.jpg Also here is another thing you could do to potentially make it look a little nicer without going crazy on paint stripping. Im not sure if Paiste still does the colorsounds but I bet you could find a few green colorsounds floating around that might accent that kit nicely:)

Prometheon.bandcamp.com
BLAST AWAY.
Posted on 8 years ago

Silly question maybe, but why would you buy them at all? Are they very cheap? Otheriwse: why buy a kit that you don't like the looks of? There must be more than plenty kits around that you do like the looks of.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 8 years ago

Cheap. They are decent birch shells, I like the sizes, and I can get them for less than $0 once I sell the parts I don't need.

------------------------------------------------
"I've met cats and dogs smarter than Cory and Trevor."
Posted on 8 years ago

Would be a cool "Green Hornet" kit. Media blasting best way to get the green off. Whole bunch easier to just replace with something you like and same hole spacing.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

I have no tips to add other than get rid of the green by whatever means necessary!

Zach

Currently looking for a 3-ply 24x14 Ludwig in champagne sparkle w/rail consolette and cymbal mount!
Posted on 8 years ago

I'm not a fan of color coated hardware, and never was.. I do however enjoy a black nickel, nickel, satin nickel or brass hardware. I'm going to have to agree with salty1322 and say just leave it be.

Unless you enjoy working on something that's time consuming and have the actual time for it, then i'd say go for it.

If you have even the slightest doubts as to how to go about it, then i'd just leave it alone..

Posted on 8 years ago

the green should be either green PLATING (like they do with black parts. not powder coating since the kit's made over seas) or possibly cheap powder coating.

i worked at a indie drum company and i've sent parts to get p.c. many times. i have also buffed or stripped bad p.c. its not fun.

media blasting would be the best way to go, but parts are usually scuffed so the powder will stick. those kits made overseas most likely will not take the time to prep the parts for p.c. but there's no way to tell the condition underneath.

as noted above, it may not be worth the time to strip but its your call.

i've used jasco premium paint remover to strip p.c. just let it sit for awhile and scrap it off. sometimes it takes a few tries if the parts have alot of angles. or i'm sure there's some youtube videos that show how to strip p.c.

http://www.drummerfish.weebly.com for drum parts, drum promos , swag, promo media and more for sale
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here