Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

not that important...

hi

i have a friend who just purchased a 13 coated ambassador by remo, after just a day of playing the "coat" was chippin out, revieling the transluscent skin before the coat. hmm... My skins are coated ambassadors and we have the same sticks and sometimes he plays with my snare too, but it never worn out that fast which brings me up to this question, is that natural or is this a fake???

have you experienced this kind of skin?

im so bothered cuz i purchased ambassador snare side from the same shop and i dont know if its a true remo?

nothing important...

Posted on 18 years ago

Not sure if anyone is making "fake" Remo's out there, but I would suggest to your friend that he take the head back to the drum shop and ask for a replacement. Could just be a defective coating on a real Remo.

I've seen very cheap (no name) heads do that, but it usually takes more than just a day.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 18 years ago

Yep, that does not sound good. Like any manufacturing process things could happen and I would consider taking it back.

I was leafing through my 1971 Ludwig Catalog and on page 96 they have a spray bottled called Ruff-Kote Head Spray.

The directions say spray it on and let it sit then your ready to play.

I guess it never took off, but sounds like a good idea.

Not that it helps your friend, I just thought I would throw in a little history into the topic.

x-mas2

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

I remember the Ruff-Kote spray. It was a temporary fix at best. This past year I experimented with the Evans etched heads on the snare I use most when playing brushes. The results were pretty good and you get the kind of sound similar to a Remo that's been "broken in" for a bit. Also had some decent results with the Remo Renaissance heads.

Posted on 18 years ago

A few years ago, there was some issues about Remo coatings after a change in the way they made them. Ususally noted by a 'pie' shaped symbol on the new heads... hence "pre-pie" and "pie heads". it is possible that you got one of those that had been in stock for a long time.. if it has the 'pie' shape on it.

Posted on 18 years ago

On a good day, I could do thumb rolls on the tambourine. A right handed percussionist would press down about one inch from the edge of the instrument and pressing down, move his thumb counterclock-wise for the duration of the roll. The Palmolive-softness of my hands didn't make it easy. There was a product years ago called Ruff-Kote distributed by Ludwig that we sprayed on snare drums to improve resonance using brushes and on tambourines (plastic head) to facilitate thumb rolls. A good thumb roller was always in danger of kidnapping by gypsies. Therefore, one was strongly advised to avoid the fumes. An advanced product is now used as a bed liner sealant in pickup trucks for protection, airplane wings and stairs to prevent slipping, and other creative applications.

Posted on 14 years ago

Ruff Coat was put out by Ludwig years ago. Great for brushwork, it was a hit with the older players, not the younger guys comming up who didn't do brushwork. With the EPA regs kicking in since 1968 it had to be dropped, it was highly toxic back then. It would be nice if someone could come up with a safer replacement.

Remo at various times had problems with the coating sticking, with all the EPA regs almost putting them out of business. They seem to have worked it all out, new head production hasn't had any issues that I've heard of. You probaly ended up with a head from old stock, return it.

Posted on 14 years ago

I had a Remo Ambassador that the white coating chipped off decades ago. A tom head, it started falling off right from the start.

Calf heads are the cat's meow for brushes... and you don't have to worry about fumes or the EPA, just that white powdery anthrax stuff and it's not all that bad once you get used to the taste!

Posted on 14 years ago

Good stuff....

Up until John's post today, this thread was three and a half years old......

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

From kevins

Good stuff....Up until John's post today, this thread was three and a half years old......

he did say it wasn't that important...

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here