Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Not really vintage, but...

Just picked up another load of drums in Wichita this week. Included was a 16x22, 16x16, and 10x13 Gretsch Blackhawk set. The wrap is toast (taped on, so an easy removal) but for MITs I was actually pleasantly surprised with the quality of the shells.

The hardware, particularly the lugs, are a completely different story. I've only worked on the BD so far, but MOST of the screws on the lugs were cross-threaded and what I believe to be most likely done at the factory. Phillips #2 heads, of course, so those screws are toast. Of the 16 lugs on the BD, IF I end up with half of them any good, I'll be doing great. I can only suspect the toms lugs will be the same.

So... I'll rewrap the drums and install new lugs. Not really a big deal. Probably with larger lugs, which of course means I'll have to redrill but they'll look much better anyway (I do NOT like the mini-lug look!). Will still sell as an entry-level set, so again no big deal really.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into the same on either these or other MITs. I recently disassembled a Ludwig Rocker Elite set (also an MIT), but did NOT have the same issues...

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

only issue I've had is with old Ludwigs using they semi self tapping screws in the threaded lug holes.

The aluminum gals up on some....

Never played with any MIT's.

Posted on 12 years ago

From billnvick

Just picked up another load of drums in Wichita this week. Included was a 16x22, 16x16, and 10x13 Gretsch Blackhawk set. The wrap is toast (taped on, so an easy removal) but for MITs I was actually pleasantly surprised with the quality of the shells.The hardware, particularly the lugs, are a completely different story. I've only worked on the BD so far, but MOST of the screws on the lugs were cross-threaded and what I believe to be most likely done at the factory. Phillips #2 heads, of course, so those screws are toast. Of the 16 lugs on the BD, IF I end up with half of them any good, I'll be doing great. I can only suspect the toms lugs will be the same.So... I'll rewrap the drums and install new lugs. Not really a big deal. Probably with larger lugs, which of course means I'll have to redrill but they'll look much better anyway (I do NOT like the mini-lug look!). Will still sell as an entry-level set, so again no big deal really.Just wondering if anyone else has run into the same on either these or other MITs. I recently disassembled a Ludwig Rocker Elite set (also an MIT), but did NOT have the same issues...Bill

Bill,Yes about the screws on these Gretsch Blackhawk drum.About 7 years ago i got a load of these drums in 40 drums total.The screws are cross threaded i dont know why.I made sets of 12,13,16,22 out of the 56 lugs on the drums about 75% i had to re-tap the threads on and used other screws...Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

The set I picked up was a Tama clone/ Gretch Blackhawk-definitely MIT.All the Rogers bootleg lugs were pitted and half were stripped.The hardware was a very poor quality of casting-many broken pieces.Speckle painted interiors with luan-I should have passed on them.

I WILL be keeping an eye out for the more recent Blackhawks,since their hardware/lugs are EXCELLENT-same as Catalinas.A 14" Blackhawk F.T. is on my church set-

Posted on 12 years ago

Bill my experience was a CB700 kit that came with a lot of drums . The lugs were not cross threaded but such cheep brittle metal that they would break if you tighten the screws to much. I swear I would never buy anything MIT again but I did end up with a Pearl Session Select kit that is MIT and thats because I was in a hurry and did not look close. I just assumed that all Pearl drums were MIJ. Live and learne. I hope these sessions are better quality then the CB 700 were.

Good luck with the project, more PSA veneer???

JC

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

From jccabinets

...more PSA veneer???JC

:) How'd you guess?

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

You will never run out of that stuff!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

Rather than start a new post, I'll use this one as these drums came in the same load as the Gretsch Blackhawks.

I've never heard of "Verve" before. Definately MIT, but the finish is really in good shape! The hardware is kinda cheapie, but all I had to do is clean & detail, replace 2 tom resonant heads and both BD heads (all with descent used ones I had). Oh yeah, replaced one mounting screw.

Sold these before I had them done, and delivering to a customer in Wichita tomorrow (Friday). Then on to the OKC area to pick up another load of old marching drums. Then back to Wichita and maybe picking up more Saturday!

BTW -- in pic 3, that's 3-year-old Katie. Her dad took a video of her playing -- not bad for 3! -- and when he gets it "up" I'll post a you-tube link! :)

Bill

3 attachments
Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

I can't remember where on here, but I and about 2 or 3 others have discussed that very drumset. I presently have 2 of them - both identical to that. That company eventually quit making drumsets, and now just concentrate on putting out marching and concert band equipment. That is one of their better offerings - 9 ply Maple/Mahogany/Maple and retailed for about $1000. One of mine is on consignment and the other one is stored over to a friend's house until I get around to slapping all new heads on her. I am going to keep it and it will be my modern classy kit, as the finish is gorgeous and the shells indicate that they will likely sound great once new heads are installed and....oh yeah - going to have the edges checked out (recut if needed) and actually plan to cut the 2 toms down to be more shallow- just a preference thing. I also plan on installing suspension mounts on it. Eventually, I will post pics of it when I get around to getting it all done. I paid $150 for it, including a matching snare that actually sounds really good. BTW, I am considering removing the badges altogether. No, not because I am ashamed of the brand - just simply because I think it is one of the least imaginative (least creative) ugliest badges I have ever seen!

Hey Bill, I actually am in need of a lug for the floor tom - you have anything that will work?

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here