Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

NOS Calf Head ??

Hey Everyone,

I've just got a NOS Slingerland Supertone 14" Calf head. It's a little tight on the Student RK that I'm going to put it on.

I did notice that the orignal RK snare side head has a small section that's "flared out from the flesh hoop.

Two questions:

One, the NOS Supertone that's tight and appears to have staining(looks like a combination of water and or rust for whatever reason) on it, can I clean/re-bleach & soak this to get it clean and then seat/stretch it back onto the shell?

Two is essentially the same question, by soaking the snare side head will the "flared out section soften up enough so that when I put it back on the shell to dry it'll be OK to tension after say 24+hrs.

Thanks guys 'n girls.

BGT

1972 Slingerland WMP 80N
1959 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
1965 Slingerland Artist Snare
1968 Slingerland Artist Snare
1972 Slingerland Sound King COB
1963 Slingerland WMP Student Radio King
Posted on 12 years ago

Clean area on shell where the rust formation was/is, with steel wool and buffing compound.

DO NOT USE BLEACH on calfskin. Household bleach will break down the fibers in the calf.

Use warm water and fine scrungy pad, clean the entire head gently, rise and wipe dry, place back on shell to dry. What comes out, comes out.

Yes you can wet the head to reshape it, if you soak it too long it may come off the hoop.

Posted on 12 years ago

From JRichard

Clean area on shell where the rust formation was/is, with steel wool and buffing compound. DO NOT USE BLEACH on calfskin. Household bleach will break down the fibers in the calf.Use warm water and fine scrungy pad, clean the entire head gently, rise and wipe dry, place back on shell to dry. What comes out, comes out.Yes you can wet the head to reshape it, if you soak it too long it may come off the hoop.

Thanks JR

BGT

1972 Slingerland WMP 80N
1959 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
1965 Slingerland Artist Snare
1968 Slingerland Artist Snare
1972 Slingerland Sound King COB
1963 Slingerland WMP Student Radio King
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here