Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

North Drums Restoration

hi,

I finally got my first set of north drums, and I'm stoked!

they are nicked and banged up, and I am wondering if anyone has any tips or best practices for restoring them. I will probably do some sanding, fill, and new paint (and of course, all the sanding between coats). however, I want to fill in mount holes, and go with rims suspension mounts. this should work ok you think? also, what's a good product for the outer rim(s) molding?

can anybody help a newbie out?

thank you!

john

Posted on 10 years ago

Welcome! I am not familiar with North drums, can you post some pictures of your drums including close ups of the problem areas please.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

I am not the expert here, but I bet you will be using Bondo or something similar to do the repairs to the shells. Basically I would imagine the shell repairs will be quite similar to auto body or boat hull repairs. Actually, you could probably get an auto body shop to do the repairs and finish. I am not as sure about filling holes in fiberglass though.

I would imagine that RIMS mount would work but I highly recommend trying this first: tune one of the drums and hold it by the rim to play it "suspended". Then, mount the drum using the standard mount. compare the difference in sound. I, for one, am a big believer in suspension mounts and one of the few on this forum that is. That said, if the difference is negligible, then it may not be worth toe effort to fill all the holes. Just a suggestion.

If you could post pictures, that would help, plus we like pictures!

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 10 years ago

thanks for the replies folks. here's a couple o pics, as they sit now, before lifting finger one. tnsquint, I like the body shop idea! hope I attached them correctly.

peace.

2 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Totally impractical, difficult to transport, but i have wanted a set of these for years!

'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here