Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

NO TOM MOUNT 1960s SLINGERLANDS

Hello Folks,

I was fortunate enough to be given some 1960s Slingerlands : 18" x 14" kick drum, 14" x 14" floor tom and a 12" x 8" rack tom. Sparkling Champagne finish. From what I can tell, they're Radio Kings (please correct me if I'm wrong) - albeit tiny ones. The kick drum date is "JUN 196SMUDGE" (nineteen-sixty-smudge) could be 3,5,6,8 or 9. Anyway, perhaps my question will help to pin down the year.

Q: Neither the kick drum or the rack tom have any mounting hardware in regard to each other. What sort of stand was sold to go with this configuration. I picked up a junk snare stand (BlackHawk - $20 used) which +/- works. I'm just wondering what Slingerland originally intended. Is there a factory issue "Tom stand"?

Thanks for reading ยง:-)

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 16 years ago
Posted on 16 years ago

WOW!! Now that is a nice gift!

Get her set up and snap a few pics to post... great sizes and finish.. love to see it. Yes Sir

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Another member here recently had and sold a similar set...go back in the for sale section. He though his were champagne too, but they were actually faded pink sparkle. (Often, catalog set configurations tend to turn up in the color that they were shown in in the catalogs, like the pink sparkle Jet set.)

Check the Slingerland section under Vintage Drum Identification for badge and color IDs.

Although Radio King is a term Slingerland tossed around in different ways, usually it refers to the Radio King model snare drum and / or the toms and bass drums in the '40s and '50s.

Not that it matters, but your toms would be referred to in the catalogs as "sound Kings".

Post pics!

Posted on 16 years ago

WOW !!! So much great information. I'M NOT WORTHY !!!!!!

DAVID, thanks for the 1967 Catalog pics. The drum sizes, champagne finish and hardware (or lack thereof) are spot on; with one exception. My kick drum has black wood hoops with the matching finish inlay. Not the chrome hoops mentioned in the '67 "Jet" advert. This makes me wonder if mine are more likely to be 1966 or sooner. I wonder what the earlier catalogs show of this kit's variations.

TOTALLY COOL. Thanks for that. Plus the fact that it lists the original tom stand model : "No. 805 Flush base stand for tom tom". ONLY $19.50 !!! I'll hop in the time machine and pick one up right away! :-)

JIM, They ARE a nice gift. The sound tech at a church I used to play piano at, took me up to a storage space that was being cleared out. They were going to be pitched in the trash!!!! crying2-07 They need quite a few parts & some TLC, but I was impressed by how solid these little guys are; not to mention character. I'll definitely post some picks through their restoration. You'll be seeing me post some Q's on the Restoration part of the forum, fer sure.

RICH K. I *think* I found the "For Sale" thread, page 2, "SLingerland Jet Set... Just Like The Catalog" - but, I found no pics.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=4605

From everything I've compared, finish-wise, these match best with the "Sparkling Pink Champagne Pearl" ('63 catalog) & the aforementioned "Sparkling Champagne Pearl" of the '67 catalog. The silver & copper particles are easy to see under a magnifying glass; per this "Vintage Drum Guide" article.

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcjw/article_4_finishes15.htm

The badges are the '62 to '70 Black & Brass Niles. ID'ing those in the first place is what led me to all of you excellent cats & the wonderful Vintage Drum site info.

Thanks for clearing up the Radio King part of the question. In my web searches, for all the things people list as Radio Kings, I could never find any in my smaller drum sizes, despite so many of the other specs that appeared to be similar. It's nice to know that they have the name of Sound Kings, along with the possible "Jet" kit name. Is there any major difference, other that year of manufacture, between the Radio Kings & the Sound Kings, construction-wise?

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU GUYS ~ YOUR WISDOM & EXPERIENCE IS INVALUABLE! Cool1

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here