Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

No Name MIJ

Ok. I got these some time ago. These were my first find in my newly developed interest in MIJ drums. Turns out, they were almost next door to me. I don't think they are anything special, although I have yet to see any club date style lugs on any of the kits here. (haven't really been on the forum that long though:))

Anyways, I saw Johnistix's post about La Boz drums, and I noticed that this kit has the same style tube bass and tom holder. Same kind of bass drum cymbal mount as well, but not in the same place as the pics from the La Boz catalog. They are very thin shells, with re rings. Three rings in the bass drum. Sizes are 20,12,14, and a matching snare. The bass and floor tom are in very good shape, other than the finish, and the previous owners taste in stickers.DOH

The tom is in worse shape around the tom holder bracket. You can see in the pics. There also looks like there may have been a badge on these as well. Just a shadow now, but it looks like it may have been a small rectangle. Not around the vent hole, just a stuck on think. I only see it on the tom though. Any who, thought maybe someone might be able to date these, plus some info? :D

I'll have more pics later.

Gretsch Catalina Maples - 22,8,10,12,16 DCB
70's Silvertone - 20,12,14, 14Sn Blue Sparkle
60's No Name MIJ - 20,12,14 Red Sparkle
70's Yamaha (YD?) - 20,12,13,16 Red Ripple
Posted on 14 years ago

Looks like Pearl to me.Could be one of many,check the badges section.Theres likely one in there that will match yours...Nice little kit you have there.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Mikey may have one of these tom brackets. Hang on a minute, he'll stop by. In the meantime, if you want to do a number on them and don't mind spending some time, I'll walk you through it because I love both the size and type of shells. That configuration is reallly after the Clubdate.

Yes, Pearl is the lug type and so are the s/s hoops, but everyone had those, so again, maybe an independent hoop and foundry..., or maybe the Nikkan that O'bop speaks of. Anyway. first thing is to strip them down and sand the interoirs. You'll want to sand them to a fine 100 grit then follow it with 220. This is tedious work. However, the final results are worth it. Get some lacquer and have it on hand. I keep some with a little stain in it ready to go. I just like to "aged" look it gives the finished product.

After you have stripped the shells to bear wrap, and the sanding is done, you'll want to turn your attention to the edges before doing the lacquer. Let's concentrate on the wood first, then we'll get to the finish work. If the edges are in good condition, all you want to do is "close the grain" and maybe you will want to change the contour [COLOR=black]slightly, but only if you need to. Once all of the sanding and edge work and washing the wrap is completed, you waill want to tape the shell. DO THIS BEFORE SANDING THE EDGES TO MINIMIZE ANY DAMAGE TO THE WRAP. I forgot to mention that. You want to do the interior before tape so all of the dust will fall away.

If you have a dust brush for a drafting table, this is a very handy tool for cleaning up before painting. As is a damp cloth. After all sanding is done, apply a coat or two, or three, if you like to the interior and edges. I lacquer my edges, sanding with 4-0000 steel wool between coats, and the edges after the final coat. Always do th eedges between coats, the inrior won't really need it, unless you are just anal that way...as most restorers are...[/COLOR]

Next we will do chrome work...Or you can work on it in between coats of lacquer. Get a $5 cheap spinning toothnrush, or if you can locate one, a detailing brush for about 10. It is the fastest way. I use TurtleWax rubbing compound, everyone has their own fave, but this is the best and fastest, safest way, IMHO....and steel wool and mineral oil for the rods, running them in and out with a screw gun. Works woinders on rusty, gunky rods. I use a 2-00 for rods.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi Your set is a mid-60s made by pearl.the lugs were used on Crown drums but your's are not Crown,Crown badges were niled on to the shells..pearl used that lug on many names of the 60s to many to list[[if you could post a photo of where the badge was i maybe be able to tell you the name of the set....Yes i do have the tom mount that you need the mount would be bigger at the tube that goes into the bass drum about 3/4" around and the tube that would go into the mounted tom is about 1/2 around....With alittle work your drum's will sound good...mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Drumdreams, if you could, please take a pic of the area where it looks like the badge was. This would help as we continue to unravel the mystery of these drums.

Also, it would be great to have some pics of the other drums, the snare strainer, the floor tom leg mounts, etc.

I think that these were made a bit earlier than most of the MIJ stuff that we typically see around here (that usually dates around 1967-1971.) My guess it that your set was most likely made sometime around 1964-1966, possibly a bit earlier, but I haven't seen any evidence that there were any MIJ stencil sets being imported any earlier than the 1960's.

Anyway, cool find! Do you have them set up and playing yet or are you working on them a bit?

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey guys. I may have been a little unclear before. I actually have all the parts for the kit. I am really just looking for any info about it. Sorry about the misunderstanding.:o

They are set up, and they are currently my 3 1/2 year old daughters noise makers. She will smash on them any chance she gets. My chance to live vicariously through her, and a little boy on the way. (May 11):D

I will probably refinish them some day, (thanks for the advice Jonnie), for now, since they didn't look like any of the other kits, I was just curious. As you can see though, the previous owner put his own stamp on the drums. Truly Canadian, and lovin Trooper. As for the badge shadows, I highlighted one because they are hard to see. Lots of stickers, so these may just be old stickers.

Anyways, thanks for the info so far. Hope these pics help a little more.

5 attachments
Gretsch Catalina Maples - 22,8,10,12,16 DCB
70's Silvertone - 20,12,14, 14Sn Blue Sparkle
60's No Name MIJ - 20,12,14 Red Sparkle
70's Yamaha (YD?) - 20,12,13,16 Red Ripple
Posted on 14 years ago

Well, I don't know about what badge they would have had, but Blake is correct, they are earlier than most, more likely in the same age group as mine, the shells are identical to what mine looked like befor eI put the veneer in them. Anywhere from 60-66. For the most part, the 3 ply shells did not remain a standard production item much past 66. Most of the catalogs seem to suggest 6 to 9 ply beginning in the 67 catalogs, so that is what we use as a reference, and those are definitely Pearl type lugs, from Crown and some others. I am going to trey shape matching in a minute, however right now I thionk I will go file my unemployment benefit package....

I just got canned!!! WooooHoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Gettin' paid to surf the innernet, like a few of my otha brothas.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 14 years ago

Well, since it was apparently a "stick-on badge", it could have been anything. None of the current badges in the badge section here: http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/japanese_drums/badges.html

seem to match up with the barely visible image I can make out. It looks like a rectangle witha rounded top to me. Is that what it is? Rounded on top, or is that an optical illusion?

Posted on 14 years ago

Yep, this set seems to be one of the earlier Pearl mades sets just like John's WMP and my Jazz Master orphans. Compare the pic of the small rectangular space below the vent on your rack tom to the below pic of the sticker on my Jazz Master tom. I would say the sizes and location are just about the same. And the screw handle on your rack tom mount is the same hardware that are on John's set as well as mine. The only difference is that your set has the Clubdate style center lugs. (I think both Star and Pearl could easily offer this as I'm pretty sure they just stuck snare drum lugs in the middle of the rack and floor toms.)

So anyway, you have a cool Pearl made set, possibly a 'Jazz Master' with Clubdate style center lugs, made sometime in the early-mid 60s. The rest of their story is lost to time, as is the case with most of these old drums.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Pearl made more of those center lug type kits than did Star. And I like the look the more I see them. I think I may have enough of those lugs around now to build a kit like that.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here