Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Nickle vs. chrome plating

I'm starting to encounter more nickle plated pieces along with chrome plated and wondering:

1. what are the primary differences?

2. is it not advisable to have mixed components on the same drum?

3. Is either one desirable more than the other? Coffee Break2

I saw in a 60's Ludwig catalog they offered a choice of either plating when you order a set fr/ the catalog...

Currently working on a 7 piece virgin double bass 3 ply early 70's Ludwig kit to be wearing....MOD ORANGE.
Posted on 14 years ago

chrome is more desirable, for visual and resale value, but i prefer nickel it is more durable and cleans up very well!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

1. The 2 Processes

Nickel Plating = Metal | Copper Plate | Nickel Plate = Nickel

Chrome Plating = Metal | Copper Plate | Nickel Plate | Chromium = Chrome

Chrome is brighter, but in my humble opinion more industrial looking. Nickel is more work over the long haul to take care of due to the fact that it tarnishes quicker than chrome and needs to be polished more.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

most of my stuff is chrome...but there is nothing like polished nickle hardwear!!! really pretty;-) anyone out there i would gladly trade all my chrome for ur nickle...please get in touch...YAY!!! anyway isnt all nickle,NOB=NICKLE OVER BRASS,and, CHROME can BE OVER BRASS OR STEEL...gimme the NOBrass anyday...yea!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here