Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Next...!!!

OK, here is my next round of projects. I have a stack of snare shells, all different type of shells, a thin Star (Stewart/Apollo blue sparkle 3 ply w/re-rings, a thicker Star 6 ply and a really old Pearl (no-name stencil) WMP that is a 4 ply mahogany with huge re-rings, under the curly maple veneer inlay, of old growth Asian variety and a newer World Max 13"x5" of mahoganybasswood/maple.

First up is the easy one, blue spark. It is all there, but I hate the strainer, so off it goes in favor of an OLD long-arm Rapid Strainer type throw I got in box of parts recently. No idea it was there and I was stoked to find it as anotrher member and I were just trying to get one identical to it functioning properly. His was a bit more worn that this one is. The edges were very clesn and only needed a light sanding and oiling. It is a roundover and I will leave it like it is. I lacquered the interior and edges and packed the lugs with cotton. I unroll a cotton ball and wrap a piece of it around the spring.

Next will be the WorldMax because it is all taken apart and needs the most work. I will lacquer it all over, interior, exterior, edges...then I will paint it crimson...maybe a shot os cream for OU colors....anyway. The edges, factory, were terrible, not well cut at all. SO I tested my router on a really crappy MIT shell, got decent results and took the WM to it. Now it has a smokin' double 45 and deep snare beds so it ought to really cut like a razor when it is done. After that....we'll see.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

One down! I have not tuned it yet, for fairly obvious reasons...it's 3:30am....tune it in the morning! Look great, all the parts work the way they are supposed to and the strainer holds tension like it's supposed to...and it looks really cool! No missing a shift on this one!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 14 years ago

Hello, jonnistix!

I'm sure that the strainer you removed from the blue spark Star is identical to my old Supreme strainer...the one with the screw on lever which is prone to falling off. If you're not planning on using it, I would like to purchase it as a backup for mine. I'm trying to keep the set as original as possible.Please let me know.

Thank you very much.

Keep the great articles coming!

Brian

( Salty 1322)

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 14 years ago

[quote=salty 1322;88656]Hello, jonnistix!

I'm sure that the strainer you removed from the blue spark Star is identical to my old Supreme strainer...the one with the screw on lever which is prone to falling off. If you're not planning on using it, I would like to purchase it as a backup for mine. I'm trying to keep the set as original as possible.Please let me know.

Thank you very much.

Keep the great articles coming!

Brian

( Salty 1322)[/quote

All tuned up, and it sounds great! the strainer works flawlessly, the sound is clean and crisp....nice snare!

Can you shoot a pic of yours and email it to me, B? I don't know where the original strainer is for this one. The ones that I know for a fact are Star strainers, with the ridge running around the face, is not one of the ones I have, and I really don't rememer taking it off this shell as this was one that I got a while back, a stack of shells with various parts missing.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks, jonnistix!

That's okay. The original Star strainers are indeed what you describe. Luckily I have a good one in fine working order. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 14 years ago

Second one down. Vintage WorldMax 13" snare, 5(ish)x13 (well, you can't put the wood back after a good router session...). The vintage is something like, oh, I don't know, it's OLD, like maybe 10-15 years! (I do hope you all know this is a joke...) This is a 6 ply wood shell of unknown make up, but it is not all lauan. There is some mahogany in this shell, but I can't say for sure how much or which ply. Looks like poplar interior maybe?

Anywho, when I got this one it had black pvc wrap, double 45 edges, reverse cut snare beds and sounded flat and muddy with no real flavor.

The fix was a strip search, trip around the router, sanding and re-contouring the snare beds, packing the lugs as it has springs(!) crimson paint and lacquer only in the interior. This is now a nice little drum. I cut the edges to a TAMA Starphonic profile. After the work it has definition, sensitivity, much better range and rings and cracks like a firecracker.

I am still toying with the idea of adding some adornments to the outside of the shell. Anyone think a cream colored OU would look OK on this one? Afterall, it IS football season

[SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred]BOOMER SOONER!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b0000]PLEASE SAY A PRAYER FOR ALL AS WE BEGIN THIS FESTIVE AND MERRY TIME OF YEAR. WIVES, IT IS TIME TO RELINQUISH THE LIVING ROOM....AND THE CREDIT CARDS....NOW, GENTLEMEN, GO FORTH AND SEAR MEAT, SLATHER THE HOLIEST OF CATSUP BASED FOOD GROUPS AND ROLL IN THE KEGERATORS. IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=#8b0000]OH, AND DON'T FORGET THE TREADMILL, IT HAS TO GO TO THE GARAGE, IT'S IN THE WAY OF THE PLASMA![/COLOR]

Posted on 14 years ago

Jonni... what's the reason you pack the lugs with cotton? Is it to stop the springs from vibrating?

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 14 years ago

From grantro

Jonni... what's the reason you pack the lugs with cotton? Is it to stop the springs from vibrating? Cheers

Yes sir, I pack the lugs on every sprung lug, clean and tighten and rework the strainers, if not replace them altogether. All of these snares I reworked are now good drums. Anything I can do that minimizes any noise, anywhere is worth doing. If you are working on a snare especially, it pays to do the littlest of things to ensure you get the best possible sound. Every one of these snares sounded like shi* when I got them and started working on them. It takes skill that I quite by luck discovered I have to make these sound presentable, let alone great. Now to say I can do it to anything you present me with is a stretch. There are some of these drums that are just crapola and there is no amount of skill that can work them into great sounding drums.

The shell must be more than just the thin 70s ones. They tried to re-create the 3 ply shells in Taiwan in the 70s and they were little more than veneer, and poor wood at that. The rings are thin and made of a soft wood and they are nearly impossible to do anything with. So if you want a good, cheap MIJ snare, let me know and I will either set you up with one or show you how to do it yourself. For me to sit here and say it easy is like you telling me triplets are the simplest roll you do. I am a tech, you are a drummer, and I am learning how to play, so trplets are way far from me. I can work these into wonderfully passable and even recordable drums. As a matter of fact, one of mine is now on tracks going to post-production.

And here is the third for the weekend.

Kevins...recognize this one? It is the "match" to my WMP kit. This one has been re-fit with a new, modern strainer and the original is being repaired. It is made of pot metal and has a broken thread for one of the screws in the throw arm. I am using cold weld to fix it and then it will be tapped and ready for replacement on the drum. This one has no tone control and os VERY ringy. Anyway, Anyone need a side snare or one to match your kit, let me know. I have a couple more.

Posted on 14 years ago

"[COLOR="DarkRed"]OH, AND DON'T FORGET THE TREADMILL, IT HAS TO GO TO THE GARAGE, IT'S IN THE WAY OF THE PLASMA! [/COLOR]"

Laughing H Too funny!

Posted on 14 years ago

Nice work as usual, John. And...

HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here