Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Newbie's first post - Slingerland enthusiast

Hi everyone, I'm 42 and have started my music career again. Bought my Slingies in 1980 new and still have them. 24, 18, 14, 13, & 14x6 chrome snare with selectomatic tom holder. I had to lower my sitting height due to back pain and now I find I can't set my Slingerland toms low enough to accommendate my new playing position. I've been tempted to replace them with another maple kit but I love this kit. Dilema,dilema! Anyhow my back trouble was alieviated by sitting lower - thanks

Posted on 16 years ago

I can think of a couple of options...

#1. You could put one rack tom, of your choice, on a snare stand. Then, bring the other tom to either as a first floor tom or on your left as a side tom. (you do not have to set up the second tom) By putting the rack tom on a snare stand, you should be able to get the tom pretty low.

#2. (not a very vintage solution) Rims mount your toms and connect them to cymbal stands from the sides of the bassdrum. The 13in from the hihat side, and the 14in from the ride cymbal side (tradtional set up). There might be a little space between the toms, but, they might sit lower than your current setup.

#3 (another not so vintage solution) Gibraltar rack, you might be able to get away with just using the single bar (not the full 3-4 bar set up). This might be tricky with the 24inch bassdrum, you will have to see if the bar goes above the 24inch kick. The trick here might be to use Rims mounts from the bottom of the toms (Tony Williams did this I think, you might be able to search on the internet for some pictures with the real Yellow Gretsch kit).

I think you might want to just try using one rack on a snare stand and get used to playing that way. My two cents.

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 16 years ago

I'm using similar sizes and I've gone with the snare stand option (with a 14" rack). Don't tighten the stand too tight around the drum (it'll choke) and it works fine - single rack toms always look cooler the older you get anyway.

Gives you a "man-of-the-world-I-don't-need-lots-of-toms" self-confidence kind of vibe. And when you are playing drums this big, 14 to 18 is a nice interval, particularly if you tune 'em high.

Cheers,

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks guys for your input, all valid solutions. I think I'll try something that will keep a vintage look. As for "a man of the world " thing I'm with you David but I might blow my cover if I'm seen at my ten piece kit! Maybe I'll do the 14 and 18 setup as advised - good enough to smack out some Zep or blues, thanks again - Rick

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here