Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

newbie to site - slingerland 2 tom mounts

hello all, I'm quite new to the drumming community - actually my teenage son is the drummer, and I'm the bank and have a general interest in drums.

I helped him buy a used Gretsch kit and now have an opportunity to buy a used Slingerland kit. Info on it is limited. From the info I've found, and the badging, I date this kit to mid-70's to early 80's.

The unique thing is 2 tom mounts on the 22" bass (front and back). I've never seen this, didn't find anything on the site. I was wondering if anyone might comment on it, or the kit in general? Comes with 13,14,15,16 toms. pic attached. thanks

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

The one mount closest to the hoop was added later. Possibkly to get the toms closer to the player...

Posted on 16 years ago

So this was not a 'stock' feature? interesting that someone actually got what appears to be the matching mount. I'll try to find out how well it as done.

Posted on 16 years ago

You can see that is is a bit off center to the original mount. At that time, you could go to your local music store and either buy one there or order it and have the dealer put it on for you...

Posted on 16 years ago

If the badge doesn't look tampered with, both mounts may be original. During that era, Slingerland made an outfit called the Avante which had 3 toms mounted on the bass...a 12 and 13" on the double mount, and a 10 x 14" on the back single mount.

Posted on 16 years ago

Here is a picture of the Avante from the 1977 cataloge

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Hi,

I have the Slingerland Avante. Bought new it was my second kit. It was wrapped in a chrome finish. I never used to mount all 3 toms on top of the bass. I mounted the 12" tom on the bass and the 13" & 14" off to the left over the floor tom. I have since lost the 13" & 14" toms? but the rest of the kit is being re-wrapped as I type this. They should be ready later this month. They will be wrapped in a nice pink sparkle, all bearing edges are being done over. Can't wait. By the way these are 3 plies, maple poplar and mahogany with a maple reinforcement ring.

Hope that helps.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here