Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

newbie needs quick advice

78 Rogers kit... Silver metallic wrap... coming 'up' at the seam.. what is the best way to 'restick' it down... heat gun and new glue? any suggestions for a newbie??

thanks all..Coffee Break2

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Since it's at the seam, I say very, very, light heat gun; just enough to make the wrap workable... and heavy-duty doublestick tape. Tape to the shell side. Let the wrap side cool, then apply and clamp with a pc. of wood spanning top to bottom so the clamp is exerting pressure down on the entire seam end.

That's my vote.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

There's a wonderful product called Automotive Adhesion Promoter 06396 that makes that hi-bond tape stick so well...you won't be able to pull it off without breaking the wrap. Jamminsam ships it with his wraps. Get 'hold of him and see if he'll work out some silly little deal on the tape and the Promoter. Trust me, it won't come up if you use this stuff. I've wrapped several kits with Jamminsam's wraps and this stuff...GREAT stuff. It flat out sticks. I think that's been missing from some of the users of this forum that have used Jamminsam's stuff in the past. I believe that's why they shy away from his hi-bond tape. I've worked with the glue method and will never use it again. This stuff is that good. Something to giggle and furrow the brow upon.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yes, you are correct. Jamminsams tape kinda sucks on it's own. You can also buy the better-quality hi-bond tape from drummaker.com.

Similar to what mcj describes in his method above, the "red tape" hi-bond from drummaker sticks for good...you put it down and press, you better be sure you layed it all down right...because it ain't coming up again w/o trashing the wrap and maybe the shell to boot.

I now use it on all of my seams (glued wraps with taped seams).

Sounds like either tape method described here will work... [/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

sweet dudes...electricit

this is the same kit y'all help me identify a few threads ago and i must say its coming along nicely...

i've decided to keep it stock and just clean it nicely and have a true beauty instead of re-wrapping it.

my camera went TU, so I don't have any new pics, but should have it back up shortly...DOH

thanks guys...

Posted on 15 years ago

From mcjnic

There's a wonderful product called Automotive Adhesion Promoter 06396 that makes that hi-bond tape stick so well...you won't be able to pull it off without breaking the wrap. Jamminsam ships it with his wraps. Get 'hold of him and see if he'll work out some silly little deal on the tape and the Promoter. Trust me, it won't come up if you use this stuff. I've wrapped several kits with Jamminsam's wraps and this stuff...GREAT stuff. It flat out sticks. I think that's been missing from some of the users of this forum that have used Jamminsam's stuff in the past. I believe that's why they shy away from his hi-bond tape. I've worked with the glue method and will never use it again. This stuff is that good. Something to giggle and furrow the brow upon.

They made no mention of adhesion promoter when I ordered wrap from them about 6 months ago....is this something new they are doing?

Posted on 15 years ago

Dunno. I've used it several times and it ROCKS!!! Definitely give it a try. Nice stuff.

Posted on 15 years ago

From mcjnic

We use the adhesion promoter at my shop to make wood dash kits stick better. It does work well. Jammin sam says Napa auto parts has it. it's a 3M product. You could probably get it at a good automotive paint supply also.

I used contact glue to glue down a loose seam on my sonor floor tom and bass drum. Look at this thread. I did apply a little heat, very little. The wrap gets very soft and plyable very quick with a heat gun.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=6956

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 15 years ago

Gotta be careful with that heatgun...it doesn't take much to permanently warp old wrap.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DimGray"]Adhesion Promoter...I dunno...it sounds like a job title or sumthin'...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here