Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Newbie here! I need help identifying this BD

Hey everyone, I was told of this forum by one of your members and he was right, it is everything vintage drum here. Really beautiful kits all around.

I need help identifying the following BD, please oh, please help me. I am trying to get a vintage kit together, but I am poor, but I do have this...

Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

I'd say this was not made by Star - and although I'm not an expert on Pearl's: this might not be one from Pearl as well. I guess it's not a MIJ ...

Perhaps this one was made in America?

Is there a little hole in the middle of the top side of this bd, like it's on most bd's? If yes: could you please make a piture of it? Normally there are bagdes made around these holes and perhaps it's possible to see if there ever was a badge around?

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

WelcomeHi Filthy! You came to da right place, glad you came by. Could you post a shot of the bass from the top? I need to see what it looks like a little further off. Glad you took my advice. You're a had cow now, my friend. We'll have those pockets empty in no timex-mas3

Is this the set you traded your geetar for?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From Filthy

Hey everyone, I was told of this forum by one of your members and he was right, it is everything vintage drum here. Really beautiful kits all around.I need help identifying the following BD, please oh, please help me. I am trying to get a vintage kit together, but I am poor, but I do have this...Thanks

Hey Filthy,Welcome to this great forum..Your bass drum is 1960's Pearl drum.Why?Pearl used the lugs that are on the drum,if you re-move one of the lugs it will say pearl inside of it.The tom rail mount is a copy of a 1960's Ludwig..pearl used that mount .The t-rods and claws also pearl Hope you have all the t-rods for the bass these will by metic.The shells on your set should be 6 to 9 ply with-out rings inside the shell at the edges or your shells could be also 3 ply with rings inside the shell..Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Following Mikey's comments, I'll never give a 'best guess' commitment concerning Pearls any more ...DOHCryBaby:D

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

I concur with Mikey, I just want more pix...darn, ruined it...Just Kidding! Anyway, let's see the rest of yer tubbies. The Pearl designed rail is a good design, once you klearn how it works. They both, or all three...four...ever how many we can attribute certain parts and pieces to. So far, Filthy, we have certainly and positvely, almost without a doubt maybe, identified three major players of the stencil makers in the old days. And now, yesterday, our brother on another shore, in the land that gave us the stencil drum, Japan, has posted yet another sample from yet another maker, and it has different attributes, yet the same, Nikkan. So heres the run down on what we think we know as histerians:Coffee Break2

Pearl, the same old girl we have always known.

Star, the venenrable old drum builder that is now known as TAMA.

Hoshino, don't ask me who they are today, ask O'bop.

And now Nikkan, which later merged with Yamaha to become their drum building division, which is, very much arguably, one of the best set of drums available today. And many will argue this, just watch around here for a few days...

So, Pearl it is for you, a stencil, or copy, of a Slingerland, due to the lug design, or a Ludwig, due to the rail design. Got a headache yet?Party

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone. I will certainly get more pics of it up tonight. I just decided to check this post for replies and I am truly shocked so many of you hit me back with such speed and apparent knowledge of vintage MIJ gear...

Bowing

I will check for the port hole and will take the suggested shots as reccomended. Oh yeah, and I will setup a email notification for response alerts.

Thanks again!

Filthy

band3

Posted on 14 years ago

From MIKEY777

Hey Filthy,Welcome to this great forum..Your bass drum is 1960's Pearl drum.Why?Pearl used the lugs that are on the drum,if you re-move one of the lugs it will say pearl inside of it.The tom rail mount is a copy of a 1960's Ludwig..pearl used that mount .The t-rods and claws also pearl Hope you have all the t-rods for the bass these will by metic.The shells on your set should be 6 to 9 ply with-out rings inside the shell at the edges or your shells could be also 3 ply with rings inside the shell..Mikey

Hey thanks Mikey. You are right, it is a Pearl 14 x 18 BD. I have all the HW, which is a little rough, I would say fair to good condition. Wrap is done though, thanks again

Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

I concur with Mikey, I just want more pix...darn, ruined it...Just Kidding! Anyway, let's see the rest of yer tubbies. The Pearl designed rail is a good design, once you klearn how it works. They both, or all three...four...ever how many we can attribute certain parts and pieces to. So far, Filthy, we have certainly and positvely, almost without a doubt maybe, identified three major players of the stencil makers in the old days. And now, yesterday, our brother on another shore, in the land that gave us the stencil drum, Japan, has posted yet another sample from yet another maker, and it has different attributes, yet the same, Nikkan. So heres the run down on what we think we know as histerians:Coffee Break2Pearl, the same old girl we have always known.Star, the venenrable old drum builder that is now known as TAMA.Hoshino, don't ask me who they are today, ask O'bop.And now Nikkan, which later merged with Yamaha to become their drum building division, which is, very much arguably, one of the best set of drums available today. And many will argue this, just watch around here for a few days...So, Pearl it is for you, a stencil, or copy, of a Slingerland, due to the lug design, or a Ludwig, due to the rail design. Got a headache yet?Party

Thanks for the help, yep certainly is a pearl, little bitty one. Thanks for your help, will be looking at everything here, I love this forum. Thanksd again for the tips. Talk to you soon. P.S. I'm going to see the guy about the other pearl that started this whole quest. hopefully he will make a deal.

Now I must go and contend with my headache... DOH

Filthy

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here