Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Newbie getting started--round badge snare

Hi Folks,

I apologize in advance if this is not the right forum and/or too broad a topic, but as noted, I'm just getting started.

I have a maple, natural-finish Gretsch round badge snare I'd like to clean up. The hardware is original and looks pretty good but needs a cleaning, I need new heads and snare wires.

So first, what is the best (safest) way to clean the chrome? Next, should I treat the natural finish? Then, are there certain more or less appropriate heads and snares to use? Last, on taste, I want to play this drum with a recently acquired Ludwig Standard kit--is this inadvisable, and if so, what is the best (affordable) vintage Ludwig snare to get for such a kit--acrolite, chrome, supersensite, etc.?

Any and all help/guidance greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Drew

Posted on 17 years ago

as to the proper care of the chrome, there are better qualified people here than I. I just use an ammonia free glass cleaner if they're off the drum, of if the drum is metal or plastic wrapped. as to head/snare choice, it's all personal taste and suiting to the application. The remo ambasssador and emperor are still pretty standard, with other brands making very similar heads of fine quality as well. There's also a huge assortment of specialty heads. Especially for the snare top. I've got center dots, reverse center dots, Dry heads with little holes around the edges, and on and on. I love mismatching my snares with my kits. There's never anything wrong with that kinda variety!

If you're looking for a good Ludwig snare, the Acrolite's hard to beat. Same spun aluminium shell as the more expensive, chrome supra, but with 2 less lugs. Still tunes up great, though, and a 70s version can usually be had for about $100. A supra would cost roughly double that based on condition. Remeber, back in the day Ludwig used the SAME shells on their high end classics as they did on the lower level club dates and standards. 3 plys for all. IMO the club dates/standards are no worse a drum. Save the value, of course. The difference between the 8 lug Jazz Festival and 6 lug Pioneer is minimal. The difference between a new high end Ludwig and an Accent, on the other hand...

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the reply!

Posted on 17 years ago

At the top of the forum you will see a step by step guide for beginners and methods used for cleaning drums. There are many methods and this is just one way to do it.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks, David. I read your directions through after posting. Very detailed and thorough. I am going to set up an ongoing workspace and try to follow your method as best as possible. Thanks again! Drew

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here