Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Newbie: First Post / Late 60's Ludwigs

Hello Everyone:

I just found this site while trying to determine an approximate value for my Ludwig "Hollywood" set for insurance purposes. I am in awe at the amount of information available here including the original Ludwig sales brochure showing my exact configuration! Please bear with me if I screw up some of the terminology, as there are obviously many experts on this site, and I am not one of them.

I bought my drums used from a private party while in high school in early 1970 for $350. The seller had purchased them new 2 years earlier from Faust Music in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In fact, one of the original heads still bears the Faust Music stamp indicating "Milwaukee's Drum Center", along with their phone number and address.

The drums are all clearly date stamped inside, with the dates ranging from Jan 9 1968 to Jan 12 1968. Serial numbers on the keystone badges range from 562082 on the 10 lug COB Supra-Phonic snare to 567461 on the 14" x 22" base. Everything on my set is original including all hardware, Speed King pedal, Spur-Lok hi-hat pedal, Ludwig throne and stands, with the exception of the ride and crash Zildjian cymbals, which were subsequently replaced over the years. The 14" hi-hat cymbals are stamped "Stenople", made in Germany. No cases.

The color is "Psychedelic Red", although they have always seemed mostly green to me.

Other than some minor pitting on some lugs, they are in very good shape with no dents or extra holes, original staples in base drum bands, etc. They sound great in my biased opinion, and I am looking forward to getting back in the saddle after being away far too long trying to make an honest living.

I'll take a stab at attaching a photo and see what happens.

I am looking forward to any comments you folks may have about the set.

Thank you.

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

HERE WE GO!!!

Let me be the first to give you the good news!

WOW! You have a real treasure there, my friend!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

My eyes are still kind of blurry from looking at that kit! That's probably the single nicest Psych Red kit I have ever seen in my life! Good Lord! That thing is OFF THE HOOK!

Value? Oh, I'll get jumped for saying it, but, I wouldn't insure it for less than $5K.

Who knows what it;s worth? Collectors go NUTS for this kind of thing. I imagine it will be the talk of the drumming internet, soon! Just watch!

Now, BEFORE I get jumped, I just want to tell you that the current market will probably not bear that price. But I have a crystal ball and I see into the FUTURE!

The finish is rare and desirable. The color is vivid and the chrome, hardware, etc. is exceptional. The completeness of it is heart-warming. I say that because just look at how beautiful everything can be when maintained well throughout the years! It's a real testament to someone who has respect for musical instruments.

I have to go back and stare at those drums some more. Will you PLEASE post more pictures for us? Are the interiors clear maple or painted white? Are the seams tight? Anything stripped or any nicks, scratches, etc?

man, oh, man oh, man. NICE SET OF DRUMS!!!

Posted on 15 years ago

By the way, your drum set is called a "Hollywood" configuration. It could also be called a "Big Beat" if it had the Atlas hardware package. Yours has the MUCH more collectible flat-base stuff.

PLEASE DON'T EVER "PART OUT" THIS DRUM SET. It's so rare and nice and has endured this long all together. Complete drum sets in rare finishes are like unicorns these days.

You are very lucky to have that drum set! WOW!Chewie:

Posted on 15 years ago

BTW, it's no big deal or anything, but the "L"-arms for the mouted toms are not placed properly. The long part of the l-arm should be the one going into the tom tom bracket. Just FYI. It might give the tom tom some more stability if the arm is allowed to go all the way through the bracket. :2Cents:

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Seems like O-lugs is kinda enjoying this thread....Party

That is an amazing kit. Value is hard to say, actually. I would agree, a vintage drum store would try selling it for the $5g range and there is even probably several people out there who would pay it.

As he mentions, in the current and likely future real economy and market, on eBay I would hazard it could conceivably get bid up to about $3500-3800 or so....

An amazing time-capsule kit...and you are only the second owner. Incredible....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Under the category of "you learn something new everyday", thanks much for pointing out the proper "L" bracket placement. My wife and I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that these have likely been aligned this way for decades! LoLoLoLo

They've already been readjusted, and I'll be posting a new picture or two some time tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the kind words about the drums. I embarassed to think about the sad places I have stored them over the years, but they have come through it all quite nicely. I promise to pamper them from now on!

I also appreciate the ballpark value. I understand that they are only worth what an individual might be willing to pay on any given day. Since I have no intention of selling them any time soon, I respect any and all opinions. I am here to learn.

BTW, when you mentioned "flat base stuff", does that refer to the way the stand bases lay flat along the floor?

Thanks again.

Posted on 15 years ago

Ooops, almost forgot: They are painted white inside. The white paint inside the base is starting to flake a bit on the extreme outermost edges, while the others are pretty much perfect. The seams are all tight (just checked them for the first time EVER!) and there are no obvious scratches, just normal little stuff. No gouges of any kind.

I do think the bolt that adjusts the height of the two toms as they slide in and out of the base is probably not original. I suppose the original owner could have replaced the original if it were stripped(?) My adjusting wrench does not fit it and it is not shiny chrome like all the other hardware, but I have used it for 39 years. Is there a replacement bolt available either new or as an aftermarket item?

Thx. again.

Posted on 15 years ago

Yes, that part is available for replacement from Ludwig, I believe. And, just for a tip, you should get a "memory lock" or some kind of hose clamp to put on the stem of the double tom mount arm (the big tube that penetrates the bass drum) so that it doesn't slide downward. It won't prevent the tube from "turning", but it will prevent it from sliding down. You seem to keep yours set pretty low, anyway, from the looks of the pictures. That stripped bolt is a common problem with that mount. Usually, the owner would start torquing down on that bolt to try and get it tighter. Doing this eventually caused the bolts to strip out....so whatever was available at the hardware store ended up as a replacement. That's likely what happened with yours, too. A completely cheap and effective quick fix is to use a commonly-available hose clamp -like the kind used to clamp down the radiator hose in your car. And then when you get the bolt replaced, just tighten it well enough to keep the tom arm from turning in the hole. The hose clamp will negate the downward slipping so the bolt won't have to be super-tight all the time. See what I'm saying?

FYI: Don't keep those drums in any kind of room where there is bright sunlight. It will fade certain colors in the wrap -the greens, mostly. They are So vibrant and there is SO much green in them still. Please try and preserve that! A large part of their value is in the condition and vibrancy of that wrap color. Once it fades, the value goes down.

Posted on 15 years ago

Wow, they almost look NOS. Sheesh.Eye BallClapping Happy2

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here