Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

NEW USER need advice

hey so i'm just getting involved in drum restoration. right now i have:

1969 LUDWIG matching 22x14 bass drum (SEP 8 1969 date stamp) and 13x9 tom

1974 LUDWIG 18x16 floor tom

1970's SLINGERLAND 15x10 chrome over wood tom, planning rewrap, has "P" stamp (what is this?)

1978(?) SLINGERLAND 14x5 snare (not a really a project, just something lying around)

i have a blog with pictures and descriptions of the drums i'm planning on working on.

if anyone has any advice to get me started off on the right foot i'd really appreciate it.

here's the link to the blog: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=2124976&blogID=306464483

i'm looking for a 69 LUDWIG 16x16 floor tom to match the others.

i'm planning on wrapping all three to look the same.

so if you have any, post recomendations in this thread, please and thank you!

-zack-

Posted on 17 years ago

There are some good articles that you will see at the top of the page.

Cleaning and Restoring

Refinishing Drums

Each is a great source for learning more about restoration. If your drums were originally not wraped then be careful about wrapping them in a new finish. In many cases the heads will not fit, so do a test first.

The "P" stamp usually meant "Pearl Finish" and your Slingerland has a chrome finish so that is correct.

Oh, and be careful with the steel wool, read the article about restoration. It has its uses, but not the best thing for a metal shell.

Good Luck

David

Posted on 17 years ago

yeah i read up on the steel wool thing after i did the shell for that slingerland. i'd like to rewrap that one sometime anyhow. i've never liked chrome over wood, especially when it's cheap plastic chrome.

but hey, thanks!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here