Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

New Strainer for Valencia Snare

I'm rebuilding my Valencia Blue Sparkle snare drum, new rims, new wire snares.

Was just wondering if anybody has a favorite replacement strainer? It cant be too heavy since the shell is so thin, but one with nice smooth action that actually works instead of the junky one Pearl originaly used would be nice.

Anybody have a favorite?

thanks,

Retro

Posted on 13 years ago

Why are you changing out the lugs? Are yours trashed? The lugs are a big part of what gives the drum its look, and part of what will help you pick an appropriate strainer (looks wise.)

I've installed one replacement strainer and I really like it so far. I went with the S-10 because I thought it matched the Sound King copy lugs on my stencil snare. But here are several to look at:

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_104_40

You can see the strainer I went with on my Apollo snare:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=13561

Posted on 13 years ago

Sorry, just a typo.......I'm keeping the lugs as they are in excellent condition and the threads are all good. The tension rods I'm replacing with new gibralters as the old ones were really in bad looking shape.

Thanks for the strainer pics. Hows the action on that strainer?

Posted on 13 years ago

From Retrosonic

My mistake...I'm keeping the lugs as they are in excellent condition and the threads are all good... Hows the action on that strainer?

The action on the strainer is pretty smooth, and most importantly it stays put, unlike many of the original stencil strainers.

What type of lugs does the Valencia have? Gold bars? Sling copies? Post a pic if you can.

Also, that link to drumfactorydirect, use it! The best prices on drum parts that I've seen. Very good selection, too.

Posted on 13 years ago

From Retrosonic

I'm rebuilding my Valencia Blue Sparkle snare drum, new rims, new wire snares.Was just wondering if anybody has a favorite replacement strainer? It cant be too heavy since the shell is so thin, but one with nice smooth action that actually works instead of the junky one Pearl originaly used would be nice.Anybody have a favorite?thanks,Retro

Why replace the strainer? when i have new old stock ones Pearl used two types,,if you can post a photo of the one thats on the drum or email me a photo if you like....Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Hey Mike, I use the $20 pearl strainer from GC. They usually have one in stock and it is a P-85 style, but the absolute sweetest action you will ever feel. Tight enough to stay put, but smooth enough to fall out when you touch it, if you have it adjusted properly. It also has a nice butt....included. I am not sure your GC will have the same one, but this is the one I use. I know it is modern, but this is one of those I use on almost all my resto snares when the strainer is shot. I'm saying it's the best, but for 20 bucks....no shipping and a wonderful day at GC....I know...you get a sweet strainer.

And CN679 is 100% correct on using www.drumfactory as Matt has not only some if the best prices on the planet, but also some of the absolute best customer service you encounter in today's world. I know. I use him, and he is a wunderkind!

(print this out and take with to the store so they know the one you want)

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Hy guys...thanks a ton for the replys!!

Mikey7777: I know its nice to use all original stuff, but in this case, I just think that the old Pearl strainer is really poorly designed, it doesnt even stretch the snares fully across the bottom head...it just wasnt meant for a real drummer to use day in and day out, and it doesnt stay put once there is some tension on it. To me, its the biggest weak spot of the drum and it really shows up in the snare sound (or lack thereof!)

jon: Thanks for the pic...looks nice. But I could not find it on the GC site. Drum factory direct has a couple that are almost identical (like the Ludwig) but I have no idea if the action would be as good as the GC one you mentioned.

Posted on 13 years ago

From Retrosonic

hey guys...thanks a ton for the replys!! Mikey7777: The old Pearl strainer is really poorly designed, and it doesnt stay put once there is some tension on it. To me, its the really weak spot of the drum. jon: Thanks for the pic...looks nice. But I could not find it on the GC site. Drum factory direct has a couple that are almost identical (like the Ludwig) but I have no idea if the action would be as good as the GC one you mentioned.

They usually don't have it on the site. I have to go into the store to find one. This is a top notch strainer and if you have a GC in driving distance, you may also want to grab an Aquarian Z-100 single ply head for the snare. Z-100 is a coating that is really great for multiple uses, but really good for brushing. I know this is a "cheap" head, but they are on promo and for 10 bucks, you can't believe how they sound on these thin shell snares. I use them on all my woodies. Now, I know, I suck at drumming, but I do know how to tune and this is my new fave for snare heads. The "fat" one that Matt sells is a good one, but like I said, if there is a GC nearby, you would do well to call and see what the drum guys have as far a strainers go. Each store stocks different strainers.

This is the one at drumfactory I have used. I got it at another local shop, but it does not come with the butt plate. http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_104_40&products_id=3841

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

In this case, I think you can go with whatever looks good to you. I think all of these options are made in SE Asia. The S-9, S-9X, and S-10 on the drumfactory site (which are all basically P-85s, but with different looks) are probably made in Tawain or China, the Gibraltar stuff I know is made in Taiwan, and (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) I think the Ludwig is an imported part as well. So, being that they are all the same mechanical design and all imported, it would stand to reason that they will all perform similarly.

Oh, and the snare butt doesn't come with the strainers at drumfactorydirect, but a new replacement butt can be had for the high price of.. $1.85! (Coughsnarewiresfor$4.27Cough)

Mikey, how is it that you have NOS 60s Pearl replacement strainers? I didn't know they were ever available?

Posted on 13 years ago

I wouldnt be surprised if you are right about that.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here