Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

New project: 12" X 15" Club Date FT

Call me a masochist, but I like a challenge. So I'm going to try to bring this 12" X 15" WFL Club Date tom back from the brink of the kindling pile.

I found it on Criag's List. A little kid about 10 years old had it as part of his first drum kit, and he spray painted it lime green, lugs and all.

I was very curious about what was under the custom paint job. It didn't take long to figure out - the paint was chipping off all over the place. Underneath was a really cool laquer that seems to be the "Galaxy" finish shown in the 1962 Ludwig catalog. I don't generally like black drums, but this is pretty cool - a high gloss black lacquer with a slight sprinkling of what looks like [SIZE="1"]super-tiny [/SIZE]silver and pink sparkles in it. It appears to be the original finish - it's chipping in places too, and it looks like there's nothing under it except bare wood. There's nothing I can see under the lugs, in the paint chips, or in the holes that would indicate this drum was ever any colors other than the current mess, and "Galaxy" black.

But there are two weird things about it. One, "Galaxy" isn't listed as a finish in the WFL catalog on this site, and doesn't seem to show up in the Ludwig catalogs until a few years after WFL was done. And the real oddity: The badge was painted over (to the point where I couldn't even tell if it was a Ludwig or a WFL when I got it), so I rubbed a little Goof Off on it, and the green paint came right off, but underneath it was the "Galaxy" lacquer - it looks like this finish was applied right over the WFL badge. I'm curious if anyone has ever seen anything like this before.

Anyway, I'm not going to try to re-do this color (although if it was in better condition underneath the green, I might conisider it.) I plan on re-wrapping it in silver sparkle to go along with my Club Date set. Any input, hints, or suggestions for a first-time re-wrapper are welcome :)

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

Oops. As I was clicking "submit" I realized I was posting this in the wrong forum. :( Can it be moved to the "Vintage Drums" section?

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi Scott,,,That badge looks to be silver in color not brass--if it is silver badge if i recall right that would date the drum from 1941-44 w.f.l. did not used brass badges then because of WWII..As far as the finish i would say home made job,i don't think ludwig ever did a finish like that in paint...A rewrap is a easy thing to do..mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

I wasn't even thinking until after I posted my original note that the "Galaxy" finish was a wrap and not a paint job. So the black paint obviously isn't original.

But if not, I'm still curious about what was originally on this drum? I guess it had to have been wrapped in something that came off cleanly, and then someone did a pretty professional job (except for the badge) painting it.

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

From MIKEY777

Hi Scott,,,That badge looks to be silver in color not brass--if it is silver badge if i recall right that would date the drum from 1941-44 w.f.l. did not used brass badges then because of WWII..As far as the finish i would say home made job,i don't think ludwig ever did a finish like that in paint...A rewrap is a easy thing to do..mikey

I think the silver color is just a trick of the light - there's a tiny spot on the lower left part of the badge where the paint is chipped off, and it looks like a brass color underneath.

One more thing: looking at some old WFL and Ludwig catalogs, it appears that by 1955 these drums were only offered in the standard duco paint jobs. So since there's no paint under the black, it must have originally been wrapped, and if it was wrapped, it would have to be from earlier than the mid-'50s, right? Without a serial number or date stamp, how can I date this drum?

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

It looks like in the Drum Guide that from the 30's through '59 that there are eight or so WFL badges that differ from each other as the years progress. When you get the paint removed from that badge perhaps a more specific date can be determined?

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]If it was originally wrapped ...and the wrap was removed, then there should still be some remnant of the original wrap under the outer ply where it laps & seams. [/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]If it was originally wrapped ...and the wrap was removed, then there should still be some remnant of the original wrap under the outer ply where it laps & seams. [/COLOR]

Good point. I just checked, and no remnants, so apparently it was originally painted.

I just did a bit of an archaeological dig on the paint, and was a little surprised by what I found. I took an Exacto knife and started shaving off thin layers of paint. From the top layer down, here's what I've got:

[COLOR="YellowGreen"]Lime green[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"]black sparkle[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]red[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Silver"]white or silver[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"]black[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Sienna"]flat gray-ish brown[/COLOR]

[COLOR="SandyBrown"]wood[/COLOR]

That's 6 layers of paint!

I tried this excavation process in the center section of the shell and also near the edges, thinking that if it was a typical duco finish, there might also be a layer of gold paint around the middle. But as far as I can tell, that's not the case - it appears to be the same 6 layers on the whole shell. And as far as I can tell from the catalogs on this site, none of those layers match a complete original catalog finish. So this is a bit of a mystery drum, to me anyway.

I'm in the middle of stripping the paint right now with 3M Safest Stripper, so I guess I'll know soon if there are any more surprises/clues.

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

What year is the drum?

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

From kevins

What year is the drum?

As yet undetermined. When I get the lacquer off the badge (hopefully today), I should have a better idea. Best guess right now is early to mid '50s.

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here