Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Hello to everyone,

I've recently been given the task of selling my late friend's drum collection. He loved Gretsch drums. As a Hammond B-3 player, I only have the slightest knowledge of drums. I do know that he had three Gretsch sets, including one his mother bought him in the middle 1950s.

Since I've not yet figured out how to attach pictures, I thought a brief description of one of the sets, might result in some feedback on how to proceed. According to his notations on the cases, one set is a Gretsch Black Pearl, round badge(?), made up of a 20" bass drum (model 4249), 8x12 side tom (model 4415), 9x13 side tom (model 4416), 16x16 floor tom (model 4418) and 6x14 snare drum.

From reading various posts, I see that alterations to drums or additional holes in their shells are important information to dislose. The tom-toms have rims mounts (?), which means there are some open holes in the shells.

I would appreciate greatly (as would his widow) any and all suggests as to how to display these drums and how to proceed. Since he was a better at drumming than he was at finance, time will become an important factor.

Thank all of you for allowing me to join your group. After reading your posts, I know I will gain a lot of expert knowledge. Thanks again

Peter V

Posted on 16 years ago

Welcome!

Sorry about your friend! I have been in this situation before, more then once, so it is nice you are helping...

The extra holes could just be where the tom mounts were and they just need to be put back on. Most drummers have a parts stash or storage for parts. So hopefully he saved the parts.

Gretsch is a hot ticket item at the moment, so I think the photos should be sent to me and I will put them up.. We really just need one for each set for now so we can see what you have.

Where are you located? There is a Gretsch dealer that might just take all three sets at one time for one lump some that would make the deal faster and easier for her..

Send the photos to [EMAIL="vsd@vintagedrumguide.com"]vsd@vintagedrumguide.com[/EMAIL]

Thanks

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here