Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

New member with 1st "vintage drum"

Hi, I am posting for the first time because I inherated (spelling?) a drum found in my uncles attic after his passing. It is a Leedy Silver Sparkle Pearl snare. I have not dissasembled it yet but from the badge I can tell it was made between 1960 and 1966, (Leedy/Slingerland time frame) It has a hard calfskin head that has a hole in it so it needs replaced. All hardware, snares etc are in top shape and I want to use this drum on my kit when I get it set up. It also came with a set of Leedy 7A drum sticks that never saw a cymbal, perfect shape. A very light drum stand and a mike that lookes to be stainless steel with the words "The voice of music" along it's length. Not sure why my uncle had these, as far as I know he never played. Glad to have found this forum and any info on replacement heads (calfskin) or questions or info about the drum or mike please drop a post.

Posted on 16 years ago

I can't provide you any advise as I am a clueless beginner regarding drums and drumming but I can point you to the information.

Use the search link on the toolbar above and search on the word "tucking" there is some great information in the treads that search will guide you to.

Here is a link from one of those threads that you can start with http://www.rebeats.com/calf_heads.html but I highly recommend going back and read the past posts you will find on the "tucking" search.

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/ "A V-M Product" and "The Voice Of Music" are the brand names of quality audio products manufactured from 1944 until 1977 by the V-M Corporation of Benton Harbor, Michigan, USA.

Best of luck!

To Rich K.'s post below... yeah sometimes the obvious is not to me... thanks, certainly new plastic is the quick, easy, cheap solution. There are some good threads out here talking about which plastic heads are best for vintage drums as well.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

You can replace the heads with "normal" plastic heads.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here