Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

New Member with 1968 Ludwig questions

Hello to all. So glad I found your great site. Ok here goes. I have a set of vintage Ludwig drums that are date stamped Jan. 2, 1968. The color is champagne sparkle. I had someone identify them as the "Hollywood" model because of the tom mount in the center of the bass drum for double mounted toms. Not sure if he is correct or not. I purchased them in 1971 and have owned them ever since, about 37 years. I bought them all together as a used set when they were 3 years old. I have been the only one to play them ever since. They are in very good shape overall except for some minor problems. I do not have the original snare though. I do have the following all kept as a set: 20" bass drum,16" floor tom,13" mounted tom,12" mounted tom. I also have all the original hardware, bass drum foot pedal (Speed King Double Spring) and hi hat stand. I also have 1960's Zildjian cymbals: 22" ride,14" hi hats. I do have a collector that wants everything I have to add to his collection. When I asked him how much he would offer he said "I will pay you whatever you want". I don't know what I should tell him. Can anyone on here give me some advise.

Thanks so much!

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Well going on what you've said (no pics), I've seen other Hollywoods, not necessarily champagne go from around $800 and up. Those would be for the22in kick.

From what I've seen lately, it is my opinion that the 22-16-9 config's are bringing more money. Also those figures don't typically include any hardware or cymbals, particularly vintage Zil's.

Really for anyone to give you an accurate guesstimation, pictures are necessary. Sounds like a fine kit with good history. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Posted on 15 years ago

I may be wrong but I believe Ludwig added new kit called the Big Beat in the late 60's. If I remember right, it was a Hollywood config with different hardware, or something like that.

Heck I'm not certain that yours with the 20in kick would have been a Hollywood. Let's hear from others.

Posted on 15 years ago

From emmojo

Well going on what you've said (no pics), I've seen other Hollywoods, not necessarily champagne go from around $800 and up. Those would be for the22in kick.From what I've seen lately, it is my opinion that the 22-16-9 config's are bringing more money. Also those figures don't typically include any hardware or cymbals, particularly vintage Zil's.Really for anyone to give you an accurate guesstimation, pictures are necessary. Sounds like a fine kit with good history. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Thanks very much for your help. I will get some pics on here today.

Posted on 15 years ago

From what I see that is a beautiful kit. Looks very clean, no fade, no extra holes. With the hardware and cymbals I'm thinking $1200.......

Nice looking kit, and my favorite color, next to champagne sparkle...

I do have a '66 Super Classic with the 22" bass....

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Sh#t...that's a NICE old kit.

I think the market value is right in there where others have mentioned.

$800-1200.

I think on Craigslist you could get $800 or so. But you would be getting ripped off.

The 4-pc kit alone is worth $800. The cymbals, old '60's A's are worth another $250. The bass pedal and 'hat stand worth another $100 combined.

On eFlay you well might be able to clip $1g on the 4 drums alone...because it's champagne sparkle in excellent shape.

A vintage drum shop would try to sell that whole rig for $1400 or more.

So, if you wanna be an honest decent bloke, ask $1000. If you wanna try to maximize your profit...$1200 would still not be unreasonable at all.

But with the pies and hardware included, you gotta ask at least $1g....or you wil hate yourself in the morningCoffee Break2

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

hi, i have the excatly same kit, but with a 22" kick (built 1966-67) i bought it in parts (each drum for itself) not too long ago on ebay, and it cost me around 900-1000 dollars, if i recall correctly. might seem a bit expensive, but as i live in germany and the dollar was cheap over here duing that time, it was a great price for me as those drums are hard to get over here.

Posted on 15 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]So, if you wanna be an honest decent bloke, ask $1000. If you wanna try to maximize your profit...$1200 would still not be unreasonable at all.[/COLOR]

Yeah, you should get about $1300 for the whole shabang, but considering the economy, that's probably pushing it a little. I'd offer it on craigslist for $1250 and allow people to talk you down to $1000.

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here