Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

New Member - First Vintage Slingerland Purchase

Hello Board! New member here. As an introduction, I am a 53 year old drumming enthusiast. I have been playing for under two years, and have owned my first set for one year. Having much fun and mostly teaching myself, enjoying the pleasures associated with the success one occasionaly experiences in such efforts.

I own a Black Beauty and use it daily with my kit. I recently decided to purchase a wooden snare and thought I'd purchase a vintage model. Found an old Slingerland Hollywood Ace at ebay the other day and made the purchase for $202.50 plus $25 shipping. I have no intention of becoming a collector, just wanted to purchase something that might give me a nice old-time wooden shell sound. The drum was shipped promptly and looks and sounds quite nice. There isn't too much money involved in this small investment, so I'm quite certain I haven't been taken to the cleaners or anything of the sort. I was hoping that some of you would take the time to comment on the price I paid, value received, and the drum I purchased. Here is a link to the ebay page.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250197880371&indexURL=4&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

I read some of the articles and apparently I do have a 1960's original Hollywood Ace. I have no idea how much of it, or if any, has been replaced with parts, original or reproduced. It does have the "chocolate milk" paint on the inside and around the rims, so I can't really tell the ply depth. The badge is Niles, black and bronze/gold.

I have a couple questions. Curiosly, the rims do hold a very small, but very strong, magnet. I am surprised as I thought brass would not attract a magnet. Perhaps there is a bit of steel in the rims? Again, it is only a small hold, not a large click as it would to a piece of steel, but it does hold to gravity, and not drop as say when I attach it to a cymbal or the shell of the Black Beauty. Also, the lug-holes in the rims are not perfectly round, rather, they are some what elongated, but the rims do turn in and appear to be stick savers.

The two-point Rapid Strainer is in nice shape, well lubricated and in working order. It has no ID markings of any sort. Same with the butt plate. The strainer has three holes for the strings. The 16 wire snare seems to work fine. It also has no ID markings. The screws that hold the lugs each appear to have a small "G" stamped in the screws ... at exactly the point where the slot for the screwdriver heads fit. I only point this out if any of you wanted to comment regarding these are original screws.

The bearing edges are rounded. There are two areas where there appears to have been some putty-fill used, and they have not been properly sanded, so there is a few spots that I might carefully sand off. The paint is over these spots, so I got to thinking maybe I should mention it here. If you look closely, you can somewhat see what I am speaking about in the close up pic showing the muffler, just above the muffler. I have no idea if it will affect the sound I get from the drum. I plan to put some nice heads on this weekend, after I purchase the same.

My final inquiry relates to the re-rings. Top and bottom appear to be loose from the shell at two points. I do not hear a rattle or anything. Should I expect a complete loosening and seperation in the future? Can this, should it be, fixed? Again, not collecting here, only playing.

Well, apologies around for the long first post. I thank you in advance for your comments and input. I look forward to particpating in the board in the future.

Joey

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi Joey,

Welcome and nice Drum! Old Slingerlands sound great, but I lack any objectivity whatsoever as it's the only brand I've played since my first set in '65.

I gave that one a look when it was up last week; drum looked very original from the photos and in great condition, White Marine Pearl has a great yellowed patina. Price seems about right too given the condition; if you like the sound, enjoy playing it daily you'll foregt what you paid in no time. Sounds like you've got steel rims, Slingerland made a changeover from brass to chrome over stainless in the late sixties if I remember correctly, the tan interior was a new feature around the same time. I've got mid-sixties Slingerlands and they've all got clear maple interiors w/COB rims. I too have noticed what appears to be filler in the plys of some old Slingerland shells, was this done at the factory? Probably as one of the drums I mention I've owned since new in the mid-60's. I've re-glued re-rings, you need a lot of small clamps to do this correctly. I gently forced the seam open a bit with a small screwdriver then smeared Elmers Carpenter glue in the open seam with flat toothpicks. Clamped it together and wiped off any oozing glue with a wet rag. It worked fine. I've also taken small pieces of veneer to fill any gaps that won't close with clamps, again it's worked fine with no weird vibrations. Gap Filling ACC cement works well too. I've smoothed out rough spots in edges with 400 grit sandpaper, less is best here. Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll get a lot more info. from members on this site, sharing does not seem to be a problem here. Happy Holidays

Regards

DonS

Tucson AZ

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi Joey,

Congratulations on the nice drum! Looks like a winner. I have found similar problems with vintage slingerland drums that I own, and have also reglued the rerings. I use Titebond woodglue and insert it into the cracks with either the edge of a playing card or blow it down into the crack with air, either air from a compressor or just blowing real hard! Then I clamp it up, using either cardboard or small pieces of scrap wood between the shell and clamps, and let it dry for 24 hours. Be sure to clean up any excess glue with a damp washcloth after you clamp it and before it dries. Hope this helps. Welcome!

Posted on 16 years ago

Thank you for the replies, guys!

So, what do you think I should do? I called the ebay seller and he stated that he thought he had checked the rims with a magnet, but probably forgot to if it sticks at all, and it is a steel rim. He offered to take it back and return my shipping costs, though I did fail to ask if he would also pay for the return charge. Not sure what is fair. He said he had a pair of COB rims, maybe I'll ask him to swap, something he said he would do. He has many sales and is at 100% positive, so maybe/probably this has just been a mistake. But this stuff seems to happen to us more than we care to admit and it is buyer beware, aye?

Anyway, do any of you know if the nickel or chrome or whatever is on this thing would contain properties that would allow a small strong magnet to conect to it? Again, I'm using one of these really small kitchen fridg magnets and it does attach and will stay connected when I lift it up. It doesn't forcefully connect like it does when i put the magnet on the fridge. Is it possible that this is due to the chrome finish?

It is only such a small price a paid and I feel silly thinking that this isn't what it is supposed to be. I mean, do I now check the badge to make sure it isn't one of the reproductions they sell? The one on this thing is flawless, without even the slightest sign of wear ... looks and feels brand new. You can feel the printing when you run your finger over it. Do I even care outside of just wanting to know what it is that I have? LOL The seller has many sales and is in the refinishing business, though he stated that he just bought and flipped this one ... didn't do any work on it. Thoughts here?

Regarding the screws with the "G" in the middle, can one of you look at a 60's Black & Gold Niles and tell me if yours have that G? Do any of you have any info about those screws?

One final question, do any of you have a close-up pic of a what a Slingerland drum muffler and j-bar attached to it looks like? Or the butt-plate ... these look brand new. Again, I don't care if it has been been properly replaced with new or old stuff, I just want to know what it is. It must be tough for you guys who do this collecting and buying all the time. I mean, I looked around the net and they sell repro's of everything, Niles badges, lug screws, lugs, gromets ... all of it.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. Joey

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi Joey,

That's the correct muffle for that period snare. small knurled(sp) knob. they went larger shortly after that.

Very nice snare. I would try to get the Cob rims off the seller and call it a day.

Enjoy that "woody" crack of a quality snare.

As far as repair do as the other guys sugjested simple and quick.

Bongo

Posted on 16 years ago

The filler thing and the slight gap in the re-rings if normal for Slingerland.

I've had hundreds of Slingerlands and never had a problem with those rings...I'd leave them alone.

If the magnet barely sticks, the hoops may still be brass...a thing chroming job, which Slingerland has, will have a "slight" stick with a strong magnet. If your rims are steel, they'll have real strong stick with any magnet.

I think $225 for that drum is a bargain...I've owned many Radio Kings, but I prefer the Hollywood ace and the the student radio kings.

I just noticed a closeup of the scratch in the rim...look at that scratch, you'll probably see some brass showing through.

Your drum seems to be relatively untouched...good signs are the original snares and original tension rods...doesn't look like anything was swapped out.

Seems that whenever "1st timers" get that first vintage drum, they're real paranoid about it! I was too, a long time ago...

Enjoy it...try not to buy 50 more!

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks again for the replies and great information. I have one more question regarding the snare, the first wood snare I've taken the heads off. Why do they cut the bearing edge on the reso side near the snares all the way to the wrap? This one has a scoop type cut about the width of the snare bed on each side. Is that something I will see on all wooden drums? A Slingerland thing? Why doesn't it affect the sound, as the head doesn't come in contact with the bearing edge, only the wraps edge, it is cut that much. Thanks for helping a newbie out. Are they all like this? Joey

Posted on 16 years ago

I put new coated Ambassador and Hazy on the drum. Sounds sweet. I will keep it as purchased.

Decided not to accept the seller's offer to exchange for replacement hoops. I'd rather just put this behind me and enjoy the drum. Probably, as suggested above, first timer paranoia. The seller was a perfect ebay seller. He shipped immediately upon payment, professionally wrapped the snare, used a good and quick delivery service, and provided great communication, particularly after the sale.

A big thanks to all of you that replied and provided input. (Though I am still completely confused as to how the reso can be using the wrap as an edge!) And yes, now pretty well hooked to this vintage thing. I look forward to purchasing a complete vintage four piece set. 18 or 20, 12, 14 and 4 or 5 matching RB Gretsch would be nice. And so, the search begins.

Thanks again to all and best wishes for a happy and healthy 2008. Joey

Posted on 16 years ago

Let's see a photo or three of that Black Beauty....

Mike Curotto

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Let's see a photo or three of that Black Beauty....Mike Curotto

Are you kidding? I'd get laughed off of here. It's vintage Ludwig ... summer 2006! Joey

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here