Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

New lugs on my old drums. Whats this do for the value?

Im in the process of redoing a set of 1967 Ludwigs. Some of the tension rods have too much rust on them and will have to either be replaced or rechromed. I dont really want to rechrome, I also think replacing only the rusty tension rods with new ones will look odd. If I replace all of the tension rods on the set, will it devalue the drums in any way since they wont be orignal? I dont think the set is anything special or rare but I dont want to go messing it up either.

Thanks,

Jamie

Posted on 18 years ago

I have successfully removed rust from tension rods. It is a matter

of working at it a little more. ( Unless they are just completely rusted and the chrome or nickel plating is gone)

Read this little article about that.

In regards to value or not, in most cases it is best to leave it as original as possible. A purest would probably find the original tension rods.

They never make or break a drum for me in regards to buying it. So with that said to me they are the least important aspect of a drum and the easiest usually to find and or replace.

Re-chroming is not necessary at all and there usually is a healthy supply of tension rods on Ebay for your application.

Time and patience are what make the best restoration jobs. So be patient and find the correct ones and you will be much happier.

Ohh I have used replacement rods to get a drum playable until I found the correct ones.

Hope that helps

David

Posted on 18 years ago

What he ^ said!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks guys! I'll see what I can do with the tension rods I have. I would like to keep everything as close to original as possible. I guess i'll be on Ebay and maybe get a few new replacements while I am looking for vintage ones.

Thanks,

Jamie

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here