Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

New Ludwig Classic Maple Kits, maple from USA?

I am torn between a new DW maple drum kit and a new Ludwig Classic drum kit. I read everything on the DW webpage, they actually say that their maple is actually from the USA, wood is from the USA, not Canada, wow, that is pretty patriotic, cool. What about the new Ludwig Classic Maple kits, is the maple from the USA, or Canada like so many others? I noticed that other drum companies, besides the two mentioned above say that their maple is North American, or American, which basically includes USA and Canada. DW believes that maple from USA is better. I figure that it would be really cool if the maple that Ludwig uses is actually from the USA, not canada, does this make a physical or sonic difference, DW seems to think so. I know that this is kind of a strange post but I am a drum nut. I am also proud to be an American. Thanks, Gerald.

Posted on 17 years ago

Well Gerald....Hope you dont mind but im a Canadian shell builder and i think i know a little about your concerns.Wood properties;density,color,etc have everything to do with where the wood is born,and the climate its in.We live in [sorry] North America where a lot of our climate is very similar making the maple also very similar.Correct me if im wrong but i believe the marketing approach that US wood is "better"?? for drums may have been taken the wrong way.....good luck with your purchase.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

C'mon Wayne. Finish the thought please. Where are better shells grown? The US or Canada? Why? Which is more dense? Is higher density preferred? I'm curious.

Regarding new DW vs. new Ludwig. I played them in the stores and I didn't tune them myself but the DW toms sang. And the kick filled the room. The Ludwigs were interesting and definitely playable but the DWs were on another level. I don't know if it is still the case and maybe someone who knows can update me on this but I seem to recall that DW endorsers didn't get free drums, just discounts based on their level of acclaim. I believe Ludwig endorsers get free kits as do endorsers of most other companies. If that is in fact the truth, that says that a DW endorser would rather pay for a DW kit than get another brand for free.

2 cents worth.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here