Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

New here - Slingerland Gene Krupa Snare Question

Hey guys and gals. I stumbled across this site and forum while doing some research on my new, well new to me at least, Slingerland kit. This is a great resource and a really cool forum. Stoked I found it.

So, I ran across this Slingerland kit on Craigslist for $350. It turned out to be a black wrapped 4-piece set (22, 16, 12,14) with serial numbers in the low 400k so I assume its around a '79 or so based on the chart. They are in ok shape, missing the set-o-matic, tom mount on the 12", rubber feet on the floor tom, and a bass drum claw and tension rod, need new heads, some scratches, etc. Also, a repair was made to the reinforcement ring and a small crack on the high tom with some kind of clear glue, but all-in-all a good players kit.

But wait, there's more! The cool part is that the snare that I bought with it appears to be a Gene Krupa brass snare with a serial number of 162426 placing it in what seems to be sometime in the mid '60s based on the throw-off having two holes for strings. The snare is in really good shape aside from a small dimple, horrible heads, and totally trashed snare wires. Seems like a good deal to me for $340 (that's what I talked him down to) for all of it, right?

I was wondering if these snare drums require a different type of snare wire because the way they stretch past the edge of the shell on one side? It seems to me the wires would need to be a little longer. Any ideas? I would like to restore this thing and get it cleaned up since I've been reading about how cool (and valuable) these things are. Thanks in advance!

Mister T

Posted on 15 years ago

Pure Sound and Black Swamp make the extended size wires.

Posted on 15 years ago

This should help with set-up.

It use to be on the Puresound web site

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks, exactly what I needed!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here