Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

New guy with an old ludwig

Hey everyone, I found you looking for info on aquiring some parts for my old Luddies. My name is Kevin, and I see my friend Kona is here with his 58 Gretsch.

I have a 5 piece 1978 Ludwig Vistalite. I should say 4 piece, no matching snare. It's in pretty good shape, but the lugs are scuffed up and it's filthy. It was in storage for years, uncovered. It has what appears to be period correct reso heads with the ludwig logo on them. I also have a 70's b/o badge 13x3 Ludalloy piccolo that is pretty badly pitted but still has an awesome snap to it.

The Vistas are the smoke color which is transparent black. I have researched vistalites.com and vistalitedrums.com and got info on acrylic cleaners, so now I'm looking for help with replacing the hardware.

I need to source some wood bass drum hoops, and the claws/T rods, but most importantly some lugs... specifically the 4 on the bottom of the bass drum. They're different than the ludwig mini... they're more rounded. They're trashed from sitting on a wet carpet and have oxidized badly, like the terminals on an old car battery.

Anywho, This is my intro thread, so I'll post the gory details and such in the resto section. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

1978 Ludwig VistaLite - Smoke
8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 14x22 no matching snare... yet.

2009 Gretsch Catalina Maple - Tobacco Fade Sunburst
7x8, 8x10, 9x12, 14x14, 16x16, 18x22, 6x14
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi,

You can get all the parts you want on eBay. If you need lug gaskets, you can make them out of an old smooth white head using a razor blade and a hole punch.

If by "oxidized" you mean "rusted", you can remove that pretty easily using electrolysis. Check youtube for tutorial videos.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the tip on electrolysis.

I'll have to look that up.

Kevin

1978 Ludwig VistaLite - Smoke
8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 14x22 no matching snare... yet.

2009 Gretsch Catalina Maple - Tobacco Fade Sunburst
7x8, 8x10, 9x12, 14x14, 16x16, 18x22, 6x14
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here