Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

New guy ?'s about my 1967 Ludwig kit

Hey everyone. I have a 1967 ludwig kit. It is in pretty good shape except for some of the hardware needs to be cleaned up and the hoops need repainted. It also came with a Rogers Dynasonic snare. I looked up the ludwig #'s and it should be all be a 67 kit, but im not sure about what year the dynasonic is(serial #28715). Im also wondering about the floor tom, it has an extra mount on the top side of it. Is this for a cymbal mount or something? Is it factory or is it something someone has done themselves? My last question is, does the Ludwig snare (serial #218345) have any value and what kind of sound will I get out of it compaired to the Dynasonic? Here are some pics of the kit and snares so you can see what im talking about on the tom and the snare.

Click on the picture for a larger one.

[IMG]http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/a8/8634bff87cec2f0a725304f58a2affa8.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/b7/a93aee54f17391feedba7e82504800b7.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/5d/a7b683a4150699b2108189b8b9ee725d.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/04/f0861e740b74684c8d2db1cae6f31904.th.jpg[/IMG]

So i guess my questions are in quick form.

1. Year of Dynasonic

2. Worth and sound of Ludwig snare

3. The extra floor tom mount

4. Also what color should I paint the hoops on the bass drum. I have sanded them and dont know to paint them a gloss black or a semi-gloss black. What will look more authentic?

Thanks so much in advance for any help anyone can offer,

Jamie

Posted on 18 years ago

Can anybody help me with any of these questions?

Posted on 18 years ago

Sorry about that, missed the question

1. Year of Dynasonic

Waiting for that answer

2. Worth and sound of Ludwig snare

Sound Excellent value $200 - $400 if you have the hoop, no dents and in

excellent condition.

3. The extra floor tom mount

Probably not. Take a look at the holes and how they were drilled compared to the other leg mounts. More then likely unless it was some type of special order it is not original.

4. Also what color should I paint the hoops on the bass drum. I have sanded them and dont know to paint them a gloss black or a semi-gloss black. What will look more authentic?

Lacquer Black Spray Paint, Krylon or Rustoleum Semi Gloss Black

I have never used High gloss, but others might and you should also primer them first. Did you remove the inlay?

David

Posted on 18 years ago

jaymz1970...

Your Rogers Dynasonic, serial #28715, puts it's year of manufacture at approx. 1970. This drum would have been made during the first year of production after CBS moved Rogers out to Fullerton, CA. Hope this was of help!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks guys!

I do have the other hoop for the Ludwig snare. Whats the Ludwig snare, and why is it worth that much (More than I would have thought).

I didnt take off the inlay on the bass drums hoops because I wasnt sure how to or how to get them back on. I did mask them off with 1/2 inch masking tape before I sanded them.

I have a few other questions about the Dynasonic. It has a lot of rusty lugs on it, so I was going to replace them with new lugs. Will this hurt the value of the drum? What is the ballpark value of the Dynasonic? How will it sound compared to the Ludwig drum?

Thanks again,

Jamie

Posted on 18 years ago

The Ludwig drum is called a Supraphonic 400. It is THE snare drum...NOT the most expensive, but ALWAYS sounds great and is one of the representative sounds of what a snare drum should really sound like (in my opinion and many, many other's opinions as well). It likely is an alloy version. Although, there were earlier brass versions made that command about double the money of an alloy version.

DO NOT REPLACE ANY LUGS WITH NEW LUGS!!! -that is IF you want to keep the value. If you can find vintage replacement parts that are in better shape, then that would be fine, but you will comprimise the collector-value if you start replacing parts. The Dynasonic is a very collectible drum, too. If your Dynasonic were to have been WOOD, then you could write your own meal ticket with it! (Seriously!). Value? I'm guessing somewhere between 200 and 400 -depending on the condition...yours sounds like it might be at the low end of that range.

A little rust never hurt anything and it can alwats be cleaned (carefully!) with a little or a lot of good ol' elbow grease.

The sound comparison between the two drums is this:

The Ludwig Supraphonic will posess a lot more overtones and have a fuller sound while the Rogers will have a very distinct dry and articulate quality. Also, I have found (with my old Dynasonic) that it is very tempramental as far as setting it up and getting it tuned properly. The snare frame, etc. take a bit of getting used to. The Dyna is a very well-made drum and yet it never really "did it" for me. I MUCH prefer the sound of the Supra. Alas, the Supra is a far more common drum, so the collectibilty value may not be that of a Dynasonic....although the Supras still sell very well on Ebay!

Hope this helps!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

jaymz1970...

While O-Lugs has made a valid point or two, I have to respectfully disagree with him on a couple points regarding your Dynasonic. I play Rogers Dynasonics pretty much exclusively and I gig full time, thus, I understand these drums completely... and... there really isn't a mystery to setting them up correctly, although it's a lot easier if you are shown/told how to do it. I would direct you to the www.vintagesnaredrums.com home page as our most gracious Webmaster put up a piece I specifically wrote that address's this oft asked question: How do I set up my Dynasonic? Have a look when you get a chance... I think you will find it most helpful/informative! Okay,

Again, I must gently disagree with O-Lugs concerning the sound differences between these two snare drums. A COB Dynasonic, such as the one you have, will most certainly have a LOT of overtones, it's the nature of the shell itself. I have THREE COB Dynasonics, and TWO wood WMP Dynasonics... all of them 60's vintage, and all of them in incredible condition. Agreed, the wood Dynasonics can be a tad dry, once again, the nature of the shell, but they are always most articulate/sensitive... and... if set up correctly, they have plenty of body and fullness to their sound. The key is taking the time to set the drum up... and my little tutorial on the Home Page will help. Now,

I must agree with O-Lugs on the Supra being THE snare drum of perhaps, all time, period! The Supra will almost always sound fabulous without any dicking around on your part... as a matter of fact, it's down right difficult to make a Supra sound like ****... they are THAT consistent and user friendly. But, by the same token, don't discount the Rogers Dynasonic. BOTH these drums will deliver for you, although they each have their supporters and detractors. By the way, I own an ALL BRASS 1959 Supra 400 and it KILLS!!!!!!!!! Okay, lastly,

The VALUE of your Dynasonic in nice to excellent condition... ( with a nice cleaning/detailing )... is in the $300.00 to $350.00 range. Enjoy!!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks again guys! You are all very helpfull.

I ment to say tention rods, not lugs (sorry guys). Is it the same deal with them as well? Some of the tention rods are really bad. If I just rechrome them will the value still be there? I am worried about the look and the threads might not be as nice(for tuning). Thats why I would rather replace them.

I think I am going to try out both of the snare drums and just see which one I like the best. I did read that and it is very helpfull. I will definitely be using that when I set up my Dynasonic.

Thanks!

Jamie

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here