Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

New Bass Drum Hoops?

I have a late 50's set of Slingerlands with a 22" bass drum. The hoops are really beat up. The inlay is fine and very saveable. Are there new hoops available or am I stuck tring to rehab old ones? These have been glued multiple times.

Posted on 9 years ago

Most drum part vendors sell them. Precision in NY does and can cut the inlay gaps. Drum Factory Direct also sells various wood hoops but don't know if they can cut the inlays. I'd think so as they do other drum and shell work. These are normally maple 6 ply hoops. Prices are almost equal between both. And both very nice to deal with. You can also shop for a nice original pair of Slingerlands. Those and others from the day are solid maple which I prefer. And they'll have the standard hlaf inch inlay gap already cut. There's also a place that sells bare hoops and is very inexpensive. I forget who they are but maybe someone will post a link. EDIT to add here it is...... http://www.aitwood.com/default.asp

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I didnt know the originals were solid maple. I wish these werent so abused. Looks like Precisipn makes nice replacements, I will call them.

Posted on 9 years ago

Why don't you post pics of your original hoops. Maybe we can help you fix them up. My Slingerland hoops were split and in horrible shape and they look and work great now.

Posted on 9 years ago

also sellers on ebay will have a slingerland set you can buy, you could pull your inlay off the ones you have now if they aren't able to be fixed but a pic of your hoops would be a big help.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Yes, save the one you have if possible. It's not that difficult to do in most cases and while the finish wouldn't be original, the hoops would. Plenty of very helpful guys on here if you need some pointers along the way.

Posted on 9 years ago

I have decided to refurb these. I am assuming the splits can be glued with titebond II wood glue and clamping. I will have to wait for better weather to sand and repaint since its winter time in Michigan. Do you guys brush or spray? What kind of paint? Do I have to remove all the original paint? Its probably 50's lacquer

Posted on 9 years ago

Any good wood glue will be fine for repairing splits and or cracks. As for paint choice, I like Rustoleum Gloss or Satin. Spray is definitely quicker and easier for me to manage but if you want to do them inside there is nothing wrong with brush painting if done neatly. I have used Rustoleum gloss applied with a brush with nice results.

You do not need to remove all old paint. Just sand until you have a smooth surface. If you do get down to bare wood, I would apply a light coat of primer and lightly sand before applying paint. If you decide to spray, you can LIGHTLY rub the hoops with 0000 steel wool after the paint has cured for a few days to remove the overspray. Works great every time.

Posted on 9 years ago

I use the Dupli-Color brand. Lacquer based. Very fast drying.

Joe

“I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here