Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Never saw a set like this before

Can anyone help me identify what brand drumset this is? The grain of the wood is horizontal but the connector plate on the Tom says 'made in Japan' otherwise I would think they were USA drums. In the pics you can see there is an 'M' on all the lugs and no badges or any anything else to identify them by. thanks so much for any help, Mbira

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello mbira

Those are "Miller" brand drums and pretty darned rare

They are U.S. made in Bethesda Maryland using Ludwig shells

and a mixture of Ludwig and Slingerland and possibly even MIJ hardware

this all according to a current eBay seller

who has a complete and pristine looking white marine pearl kit listed for 849.99

That kit has a Ludwig style rail mount but very well could be Japanese as the MIJ version is pretty spot on to Ludwig

I would guess the wrap on the kit you feature here, is a bit more out of the ordinary than the wmp kit

It is a shame the floor tom has the damaged sections

Also it looks to me as if one of the bass drum lugs is misplaced (center)

hopefully is is just sitting loose on the shell

and also that the lug casing is not somehow damaged ,as a replacement may be tough to locate.

That said, I would sure grab them if the price is right Good Luck

Posted on 7 years ago

These are the EBay listed Miller drums for 849.99

Posted on 7 years ago

Additional pics and details provided by the eBay seller

This is a "RARE" 1965 Miller drum kit. 14" x 20" bass drum, 8" x 12" tom, 9" x 13" tom 16" x 16" floor tom, 5.5" x 14" matching snare drum. 3 ply mahogany/poplar/mahogany shells with maple reinforcement rings/hoops.

Mfg. By Miller Band Instrument Company in Bethesda, Maryland U.S.A.

I was told by the former owner and a couple of collectors that Miller drum company bought 60's Ludwig shells and used some ludwig hardware , Slingerland hardware and other big companies hardware on there kits. ( Just like Walburg & Auge did ) They had there own lugs made with the letter "M" on each lug.These shells do appear to be 60's Ludwig shells. same white interior paint, 3 ply with rerings, Really nice rare kit!

Kit appears to be original except for the strainer on the snare. It looks like a replacement to me. there were no extra holes drilled for the strainer. it fits in the original holes. I believe it had a slingerland rapid strainer or Ludwig p-83 originally. The holes match up for either one.

The only real flaw is on the top of the bass drum, under were the tom hangs there is 2 extra holes very small and were filled a long time ago. someone moved the rail consolate over.

The snare drum is really wonderful. Its a 10 lug drum and has that beautiful 60's woody tone.

This kit was bought in 1965 with the 20,13,16 and matching snare and the interiors are white just like the 60's Ludwig. The 12" tom was bought a couple years later and has a clear maple interior. Which is the same for ludwig. starting with the clear maple 3 ply shells in 1968.

all drums match perfectly. So you would have a choice to play the 20,12,16 or 20,13, 16.

Heads are all in good condition but kinda of a hodge podge of heads

(depth x head )

14" x 20" bass drum - Has 12 lugs, t-rods and claws.9 t-rods are ludwig 3 are another brand.. Has a single tom rail consolate and cymbal arm bracket.Ludwig spur brackets. Spurs are Miller spurs. both hoops are solid with minor marks. both inlays are complete and excellent. The claws on the hoops are attached to the hoops. very cool idea! Has a Remo white coated amb head on the front and a Remo clear amb. head on the batter side.

8" x 12" tom - Has 12 lugs, tension rods.What look to me to be Ludwig or Rogers rims.early diamond plate tom bracket. Never was drilled for a muffler.3 ply shell with rerings with a clear maple interior.

9" x 13" tom - Has 12 lugs, tension rods.What look to me to be Ludwig or Rogers rims.early diamond plate tom bracket. Has a Ludwig baseball bat muffler using a knob instead of a bat. ( pretty cool ) 3 ply shell with rerings with factory white painted interior

16 x 16" floor tom - Has 16 lugs, tension rods. What look to me to be Ludwig or Rogers rims.early Gretsch?? style floor tom brackets complete with 3 legs. Has a Slingerland Radio King muffler. 3 ply shell with rerings with factory white painted interior

5.5" x 14" snare drum - Has 10 lugs, 20 tension rods.What look to me to be Ludwig rims. ( rims have some chrome loss) Replacement strainer ( no extra holes drilled) Looks like a Slingerland butt. Has a Ludwig baseball bat muffler using a knob instead of a bat. ( pretty cool ) 3 ply shell with rerings with factory white painted interior. Comes with 60's Slingerland snare stand shown in pictures

Posted on 7 years ago

thanks Kenwood, I never heard of Miller drums... good to know what they are. I recently acquired the drums but they had been abused through the years the 12" tom is in really bad shape, the bottom r-ring is smashed and some of it is missing. And that bass drum lug broken off at the screws. the floor tom is missing 2 lugs as well. the lugs are the same size so I could take another form the floor tom. I suppose I could see what it sounds like with one head on the toms since the bottom rims and tension screws are missing too.

Posted on 7 years ago

I guess I should repost this in the U.S. drum section

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here