Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Need Some "quick" Help Re: Leedy Reliance Snare

I recently purchased a Leedy Reliance Snare Drum manufactured in Elkhart, Indiana. It's got a black lacquer shell, original calfskin batter side head, 8 tube lugs, what I believe to be a Leedy "Presto" strainer and snare butt, original muffler, rim clips and round, silver Leedy Reliance badge. The shell measures 61/2 x 14.

When I purchased the drum I was aware of the fact that the snare side head was basically destroyed. The drum was described as follows: "It's black enamel, is in good condition and only needs new skins to make this drum perfect."

Well........CryBaby When the drum arrived I quickly discovered that it needed much more than "new skins" to make it perfect! The shell had an area that was lifted, the wooden reinforcement ring from the batter side of the drum was totally detached from the shell, there were no snare wires, and it's questionable whether the strainer functions properly.

I contacted the seller regarding my concerns and have been offered a refund, should I decide to return the drum. However, I'm trying to determine whether it would be worth investing in this particular drum for the required repairs that would be needed to get this one "up and running" again.

I guess my main concern is whether the area of the shell that has lifted can actually be repaired and, if so, at what cost? I'd also like to obtain some input regarding re-attaching the reinforcement ring. I would hope that this might be something that even a "novice" like myself might be able to handle. Stamped on the interior of the shell is "4603". Would this indicate that this drum was built in March of 1946 or am I off base with that assumption?

Once I "hear from the experts" I'll be in a position to make the right decision regarding keeping the drum or returning it for my refund.

Hopefully, the few pics I've attached will help depict the issues addressed above.

As usual, THANKS in advance for your time and your help. I've got to let the seller know by Monday which way I'm going to go with it, so feel free to provide any and all input!

Posted on 15 years ago

It doesn't look like it would be too hard to repair... glue and clamps and a little sandpaper after... but it's a far cry from "only needs new skins to make this drum perfect".

It could probably be a very cool drum, myself I'd fix it but I'd also be inclined to, instead of getting angry with the seller, be up front and tell him in addition to new heads you need to buy and do a lot so hows abouts a price adjustment? $50 to your Paypal towards snares and glue... just a thought, sometimes it's not worth the bother.

Nice drum tho!

Posted on 15 years ago

It depends on how much you paid.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

I say, no matter what you paid for it, the repairs are not that major, and should be easily repaired. It's definitely worth saving. If you don't do it, someone else will I'm sure of that....I say try for a partial refund due to lack of disclosure of all the problems. Obviously if the seller is willing to do a full refund, they knew of all the issues with the drum, so I don't see why a partial refund and keeping it is a bad option.

Posted on 15 years ago

I subscribe to the "eye for an eye" theory. The seller had to have known that there was more damage than what he listed, so he simply hoped someone would pay premium money for a non-premium product. How could anyone NOT notice a re-ring hanging on by a thread?? I say, tally up the repairs, then add a hefty percentage to that number and try to beat him out of some loot on a deeper than necessary discount!! Cool1 Remember, the discount you ask him for should be higher than what you actually want, to allow him room for his highly probable counter offer. You should also include some kind of "not wanting to deal with the mess" or "this probably isn't even worth the trouble of fixing" type of verbage in your communique with this seller. Don't be the eager beaver or he won't budge much. If he tries to low ball you, send him the drum back and let someone else be his sucker. There are hundreds of drums for sale every day. Successful business transactions are all about attitude and information. You have the information, now take the attitude of a guy who is NOT going to settle for a deal that is not in your best interest and you can't go wrong.

I pity the fool who tries to sell me a busted drumMister T

LOL

drumhack

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 15 years ago

That's a really nice drum. You can totally fix all of that and it's not too hard at all. And when you're done, you will have a nice story to go with a drum that you restored.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here