Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

need snare wires suggestion please

Hello once again, I have found the t-rods I've been looking for, and now I am at the next decision. I need to buy a set of snares. This drum came to me with no snares, so I need help picking what to get. I was looking on DrumMaker.com, and found there is quite a selection. I have no experience on selecting this type of part, and come here to ask for suggestions.

I am not expecting to buy an original or vintage, just a good replacement.

Please let me know what you think. Regards, GRW

This is a 6 1/2" X 14" 1959 WDL and I added the two pics to show the throw-off and butt.

ps. Please let me know if you need a specific answers.

pss. I will need a set of heads as well, and just now thought, this might make a

impact on the snares decision?

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I have the exact same drum. I put 18 wire vintage Lugwig wires on mine, it sounds pretty good. I saw that Puresound was making some vintage WFL wires, that might be a good choice too.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

Puresound does make vintage wires, but they are for the odd-ball hard to find snares, such as the original super sensitive, dynasonics, radio kings, extended wires for the WFL superclassic strainers, etc. Regular puresounds would be fine for your application, you won't be disappointed. Don;t go for the cheapest wires you can find, as they are usually short lived and aren't as responsive...read that they are usually junk out of the package.

Puresound=YES

cheap snares=NO

Posted on 15 years ago

Thumbs up here for puresounds also. Maybe go with 14 strand though as most older snares seemed to use less strands. Example: Several Kent snares I've purchased with original snare wires have 14 strand or less.

More wires equals more snap. Less wires equals more drum/shell. My 1920's Ludwig snare has the original separate snare wires and there's only like 8 or 10 of them - Sounds great!!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here