Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Need Slingerland info.

Hello, My name is Mike Gallichio I am new here but not new to drumming. This seams like a great place to learn about Slingerland. I have for some reason a new intrest in this company. I have just purchased a 1960's set of slingerland on e bay. The drums are in mint shape. I mean Mint.

The inside of the drums are a light brown color. No date just a P stamp They are very light weight. Covered in light blue pearl. I was wondering about the bottom of the bass drum . It has two seams on the bottom. Like a piece was fitted in. But I dont think they were recovered. I was wondering if Slingerland produced drums with a single seam and sometimes a double seam. I went to ebay and asked people selling some very old looking bass drums that look like they were not recovered and some told me one seam and some told me two seams. My think it may have depended on the stock on hand at Slingerland? Can anyone comment on this?

Thank you

Mike Gallichio

[email]MGallichio@sbcglobal.net[/email]

: Mike Gallichio
MGallichio@sbcglobal.net
Posted on 18 years ago

Yes, this is correct, it was very common for most drum manufacturers to do this and it is still done today.

The sheets are only so big and depending on the size of the drum they had to use two pieces.

Soon enough our resident expert Drcjw will be discussing shells and eventually finishes regarding Slingerland so he might touch on the subject.

Click here for a previous discussion

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Yes, the other thread has nice information. If 1960s you would most likely have a 14x20 or 14x22 (smaller chance a 14x18 or 14x24), and two wrap pieces and thus two seams were standard Slingerland practice. For the 20, 22 the seams would normally be in the next panels up from the bottom panel, more or less symmetric in placement, but not necessarily exactly so. Could be a little off, and where they fall exactly depends on the shell size. Also, original 1960's Slingerland bass drum wrap seams are "staggered", by which I mean the second wrap piece on the bottom is below the main wrap piece at one seam and above the main wrap piece at the other seam.[/COLOR]

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here