Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Need Rogers help!!

I just picked up a Rogers kit, 12,13,16,22 non matching 14" snare. I believe thi smay be from the early to mid 80's. (maybe beyond) Here's the problem. I can clearly see maple on the interior shells BUT I see what I believe to be crap wood in between the maple plies. It has ???? plies of .... well ... something! I tried to get a pic but it's hopeless. ( I swear I see 8 but the camera sees 6 I think) The grain of the maple is very nice, but I have no idea what the other wood is. (it's darker than the maple plies and the outer darker ply has the grain going up and down as seen in stencil kits.) What is this thing and is good firewood or something worth hanging onto. It has every feature of the XP8 that I can see other than the bass drum legs are not tubes. They look like everyday bass drum legs. 10 lugs on the bass drum per side ..... so on and so on. There are no extra holes and due to the previous owner "re-doing" the kit, there are no tags. Big R .... most certainly!! Good one .... prolly not!!! If there are pics I can take to better help you out, let me know. (getting a pic of the plies is impossible!!)

Posted on 16 years ago

The "darker" plies could just be that you are seeing the end grain of a cross-laminated ply. Plywoods are made different ways, but mostly they are laid up so that one ply is perpendicular to the next. So, the end grain that's exposed will often look darker because of the way it oxidizes.

But, I can't be certain that you don't have a Keller 6-ply shell from the looks of it. I don't know what Rogers did after about 1975, but Memriloc bass drum legs should have been round tubes. And, the placement of the tom mount looks too far forward....but, like I say, I'll defer to the Rogers experts.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I have my doubts that these are even Rogers drums. Bass drum spurs are not and the green finish is not and those shells with no rerings (they're not XP8's) I don't believe are Rogers. The bass drum hoop is not Rogers. Looks like a filled hole in one of the pictures. I have XP8's and have never seen Rogers use phillips screws to mount lugs. Lugs look like the real thing. If it doesn't walk like a duck or quack like a duck it's probably not a duck.

Jack

:)

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 16 years ago

You have a recovered set of Island Music square badge rogers. The fake Big R drums post 1985, badges dont have USA on them. Or......you have a bastard set of crap drums of unknown origin, that arent maple at all. Thats phillipeeen mahogany with the vertical grain........... aka.......Luan. Plus that tom mount on top of the bass drum is a dead giveaway. Its Island Music.

You dont need more pics. You need a refund.

Sorry. Revisit your seller. If he did the recover, beat his ass. Because he knew he wasnt selling you genuine Rogers.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

I knew he had "re-done" (SH&*Y JOB AT THAT) the kit BUT I saw the grain of the bass drum and the toms and really looks like maple. I guess I should pay closer attention to Mahogany I guess!! I'm furious and I will kill this a%^ole that sold them to me!! I was told they were early 80's (which I thought possible from the bass drum legs) and that they were maple keller shells (which I questioned upon taking the bass drumhead off and seeing the grain of the outer ply) and that it was a "Big R" set!!!!!!!!!! Now what?? There probably ain't nothing I can do about it is there?? It was a private sale and I do have emails from him stating the above. Probably a case of live and learn right?? If so, I'm gonna burn these friggin things!! So the tom mounts and arms and lugs probably aren't worth crap either right? I saw other Roger's kits before I bought this and saw that tom mount and just thought they must be early 80's ...... WOW!!!! How could they do that?? That tom mount and the legs??? :mad: Is anyone seeing a pattern with me here?? I can't own a some what collectible set ...... I guess it ain't gonna happen .... I give up!!

Posted on 16 years ago

No, the interior ply is maple in those pictures. What other wood involved...I can't say without further inspection, but the shell looks like a Keller 6-ply shell to me.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

That tom mount with the plate, is Island Musics version of the Big R Memrilock. If there are no extra holes in the BD, those spurs are original, again, Island Music.

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks Ploughman!! No extra holes or filled holes anywhere on the set. So was this a combination of maple/mahogany or does the mahogany actually have that maple look to it? I take it these are crap drums and aren't worth $200 for them huh? I will say they do sound pretty good for what they are!! :) I was thinking of redoing them or at the least, smoothing out the paint job on them. (it's poly/glitter/poly/glitter/poly according to the guy I got them from) The toms came out pretty decent as did the snare but the bass drum leaves alittle .... ok ALOT to be desired. I ain't gonna worry about it if they ain't worth crap though. I did get a nice old Slingerland kick pedal and HH stand with the kit though!! :)

Posted on 16 years ago

If you only have two bills in them, you did not do too badly. Mohagany is an entirely different wood from what is called Luan. The pic of your bass drum bearing edge, the outer ply looks like verticle grain luan.

Posted on 16 years ago

So no maple at all in this kit? Crap!! Well if you say $200 ain't bad for it, I guess I'm not too bad off. Even though it's not a true Rogers kit, I guess I can still impress people with it when this is on stage and they get to hear it. (it looks good from 6 feet away!!) LMAO Hell, I don't even see Roger's or "Fake Roger's" at any venues around here .... so maybe this fake Roger's will impress someone enough (not me for lack of funding) to buy the Roger's rights from Yamaslop and bring it back home???? Wishful thinking huh?

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here