Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Need opinions! Which snare do I buy...

...for my '64 WMP Super Classic?

A minty-as-minty-can-be-without-being-NOS 1968 chrome Supra?

or

A 1964 one-owner WMP Jazz Fesitval in (apparently) 8 out of 10 condition?

I know I can't go wrong with either, but...I'd like to get some opinions.

I play rock/garage/mid-60s-era funk stuff.

Thank you in advance, kids!

Posted on 14 years ago

I totally agree that you can't go wrong with either. To me, metal v.s. wood is strictly a personal choice with no right or wrong involved.

Price, condition, original components, etc. obviously might play a part in your choice based on whether you're looking for something collectible or for a "player." These factors may also prove to be important if you're considering re-sale value sometime down the road.

Personally, I love the "woody" sound for 60s music but others might differ. I'd suggest that you try out both drums (if possible) to see which sound you prefer for the type of music you're going to be playing.

A Ludwig WMP Super Classic snare would also fit in nicely with your kit. Just a thought.

Have fun!Keep on Pl

Posted on 14 years ago

X2: Ludwig WMP Super Classic

good luck

Posted on 14 years ago

I wish I had problems like jpbrooklyn. Old School covered a great deal, I would just add that a Supra is a pretty versatile snare and would match any other kits you might have quite well.

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, but any time you can grab a Jazz fest in good condition, I would say grab the Jazz Fest. Those are a lot harder to come by than Supras, by a factor of 10. You can find a supra any day, but a matching JF....hard choice. I think, personally, I would take the wood and look for a good condition supra later, or play an Acro until restocking the cash for the pristine supra. :2Cents:

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

It dependfs on if the fade matches.What year is the jazz fest?

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

I believe that jpbrooklyn originally stated that both his kit and the jazz fest are 1964 vintage.

Posted on 14 years ago

I agree with the jazzfest.

Posted on 14 years ago

jp, you need both of them!! really, between those two drums you will cover a very large sound and tone range, if you can go to a large drums show take your mounted tom since it's the smallest, and compare what is there to yours for color match, you'll have to check your drum in at the door,, the chicago show is in may.. but get both drums

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Upon closer inspection, the WMP Jazz Fest—despite being of the same year as my WMP SClassic—doesn't quite have the same creaminess of fade. Mine is much much less yellowed. So it doesn't quite match as nice. Bah!! Oh well....Hurting

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here