Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Need info on sonor snare circa 1940's

Hi guys. I have an old sonor snare drum that I'd like to get more information on. I've only found a couple of jpegs online but no info about where it might have been used. The shell is brass (I believe) and has the triangular sonor stamp on the side. The rims are metal. There are no lug casings. The heads are held on by 5 large bolts with triangular tops. I am placing a link to the one or two good jpegs I have found online. Any help in the history of this type of drum would be appreciated.

http://www.sonormuseum.com/genesis/WWII.html

Thanks for your help and glad to be a part of the community....

2008 DW kit with Dennis Chambers Sig. snare
Musser M-75 Vibraphone
1959 Gold sparkle Slingy kit
Other various vintage snares and drums
1940's Deagan Xylorimba
Posted on 18 years ago

The majority of drums like this back in the 30's and 40's were probably used in a military setting.

If you look at a 30's Slingerland or Ludwig Catalog they were making some beautiful drums with gold plating, special engraving and other fancy finishes and features. They also offered marching drums with similar features to this drum in regards to a simpler design.

Can we see a picture of yours, or is it exactly like the drum you provided in the link

David

Posted on 18 years ago

I took a few pictures but they're too big to post. Is there an email address I could send them to? I'm not real technically advanced on sending pictures.

Thanks,

Drummincat

2008 DW kit with Dennis Chambers Sig. snare
Musser M-75 Vibraphone
1959 Gold sparkle Slingy kit
Other various vintage snares and drums
1940's Deagan Xylorimba
Posted on 18 years ago

Yes, send them to [EMAIL="vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com"]vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com[/EMAIL]

Thanks

David

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here