Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Need help with oaklawn camco parts

Hey guys hows everybody doing? This is my first post on this awesome forum.

I was wondering if some of you camco guys could help me out with a few questions on getting this little diamond in the rough my dad found for me up and running.

What he found is what I believe is a 65-70 camco gold moire wrap kit. I believe it is the advanced modernaire kit from what I could tell from the catalogs on here.

The wrap is in pretty good shape with a few scratches here and there but thats not what im concerned about. Im looking for camco parts to try and restore the kit to its original shape. From what I can tell from looking is that camco parts are almost impossible to find and when they are found youre gonna need to open your wallet.

What im looking for is:

A snare throw off with the round aristocrat lug style.

Both bottom rims for the 12 inch toms which I believe are 6 lug style and the lug screws.

A bottom rim for the 16 inch floor tom I believe is 8 lug and the lug screws.

A bass drum hoop in the gold moire finish(this will be probally impossible to find) and the claws for one side to go with it.

Im sure Im not going to find any of these original parts in the near future but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with getting aftermarket look a like parts or older vintage parts that look similar to camcos hardware. I have looked at older sling rims and they look pretty similar in style and shape. I just want to get the kit up and running so I can play and hear these beautiful drums.

If anyone could help me out and point me in the right direction I would be very very happy.

thanks guys

Posted on 13 years ago

I have a set of 8 Camco bass drum claws in A-1 excellent condition. I'm not currently using them.

Make me an offer I can't refuse! Yes Sir

Please, bear in mind that these 60's/70's Camco parts are rare and -extremely hard to find- anywhere. Believe me, It took me almost two years to find everything I needed to complete my kit. That's how I came to own these. I only needed 8 claws myself but the guy would only sell them as a set of 16. Ergo I have 8 extras.

It's not going to be a cake-walk finding the parts you need. Especially that strainer. When you do find it, yes, you'll have to reach deep into the hip pocket to secure it. Lots of guys looking for those parts.

PM me.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 13 years ago

Wow nice ill send you a pm.

Would you happen to know if a dw throw off has the same hole pattern as a camco throw off? I will probably end up doing that if the holes are the same cause I just wanna play the damn drums at this point.

I still would like to get the kit to its original state and will still be looking for parts cause aparrently im not going to find what I need overnight.

Oh and also does anybody know what lug screws are similar to camcos? Im assuming they have different thread styles than other companies...correct me if im wrong. Their hardware was pretty beefy for the time...they dont make stuff like they used to back in the day.

Posted on 13 years ago

A 60's-80's Rogers throwoff will fit the hole pattern.

You might try Precision Drum Co. for the moire/satin flame inlay.

Also, place your needs in the "Wanted to Buy" section here.

Posted on 13 years ago

I bought an Oaklawn Camco snare shell on fleabay and added all DW lugs and strainer/butt plate. I had to slightly elongate one of the holes to accommodate the DW strainer, ditto for the butt plate. The drum looks and plays killer, but I did have to alter one of the holes in the set to make it happen.

I would go with the Rogers part until you find the right Camco parts. No alterations required at all to add the Rogers stuff.

John

2 attachments
Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 13 years ago

Snare strainer. As previously mentioned the interim solution that was often used by Camco players back in the day (and by me on half of my Camco snares) is the Rogers throw. Exactly the same hole measurements (though ever so slightly tight) so no drilling. These are a hell of a lot more dependable than the Camco ones, though there are ways to customise the Camco strainers so they don't automatically throw off every time you play anything louder than jazz.

Bass-drum hoop inlay - getting the inlay will be tough though you might find a reasonable cheap replacement (given how tiny this is) from Canal Plastics in NYC (who are really cheap) or any of the drum wrap places. The modern moire looks very little like the old one but on an inlay, who's going to notice (except you - and it will, of course, drive you crazy)?

The hoop itself - get yourself the standard version (with inlay channel) from Precision Drum Co in New York state. Until you can find (and afford) the real deal, this will get it playable and is near indistinguishable from the original.

The claws - jump on Purdieshuffle's offer. Otherwise, DW did a re-issue of these a few years ago and they do show up (I got a full set of 16 claws and lugs but it cost me a small fortune - and they have those irritating tighter DW threads). Again all but indistinguishable from the original if you really get stuck. The Camcos are clearly best though.

As for the rims, if it's the earlier Oaklawns they will be the unique COB hoops everyone wets their pants over - but by later in the Oaklawn period they were using pretty much standard issue pressed COS rims like everyone else. So if you've got the earlier ones, you can just swap out for COS rims and nobody will know the difference - it's nigh on impossible to see the difference between early 60s and later 60s Camcos from the outside.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here