Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Need help with my 68 Ludwig kit!

Hey everyone! I just picked up a nice 68 Ludwig (superclassic?) set and have a few questions! (Excuse the downsized pics)

1: The seam on the floor tom seems to have shrunk? The rest of the wrap is tight and the seam really isnt very loose either, just kind of separated and is an eyesore. Any advice on what to do or not do is greatly appreciated!

2: One of the bass drum inlays has warped a little bit and isnt completely round (as the picture shows) How should I straighten it out and reattach to the hoop?

3: I've soaked chrome hardware in water & dawn before with great cleaning results but with this hardware being Nickel should I avoid that method?

4: What kind of kit is this?? The kick is virgin with straight spurs, the hardware is nickel, the rack tom has the tom mount on the right side if looking at the tom from in front of the kit (maybe 4 a lefty?), the serial #'s are all in the 340,000 range with stamps of 1968 on the inside, (a 3 year badge to shell difference but that doesnt scare me since thats not all too rare) and finally the sizes are 9x13, 16x16, and 14x22 (super classic sizes?)

Thanks for all of your time if you read this, it is GREATLY appreciated!!

Posted on 10 years ago

Use Cape Cod cloths on the nickel hardware...With a little elbow grease, the nickel will clean and shine right up...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 10 years ago

1. Use 'Kampel Seam-Fil' to fill the gap in the seam. You can use their color chart to find a seam filler close enough in color to do the repair. See this thread:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=42576

2. Don't worry about 'pre-straightening' the hoop inlay. Use a little Elmers on a brush and coat the back of the strip and the channel in the hoop. Clamp the ends down for 24 hours until glue is completely dry.

3. Grantro answered that one for you. Cape Cod cloths are the best for nickel. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but the parts look terrific when done.

4. Pre-serial badges! Used from 1960 to 1963. That's when your kit was made. One of the better build era's for Ludwig. Excellent, professional quality drum kit.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

From grantro

Use Cape Cod cloths on the nickel hardware...With a little elbow grease, the nickel will clean and shine right up...Cheers

Thanks Grantro! I will definitely go with that route! Thanks!

Posted on 10 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

1. Use 'Kampel Seam-Fil' to fill the gap in the seam. You can use their color chart to find a seam filler close enough in color to do the repair. See this thread:http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=425762. Don't worry about 'pre-straightening' the hoop inlay. Use a little Elmers on a brush and coat the back of the strip and the channel in the hoop. Clamp the ends down for 24 hours until glue is completely dry.3. Grantro answered that one for you. Cape Cod cloths are the best for nickel. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but the parts look terrific when done.4. Pre-serial badges! Used from 1960 to 1963. That's when your kit was made. One of the better build era's for Ludwig. Excellent, professional quality drum kit.John

Thank you SO much John! I will trust your advice and clean these drums up real nice!

Few questions though, am I able to get these products at a local hardware store? Clamp as in directly clamp the inlay to the hoop? Also, how is it possible that my drums are pre-serial when the badges have serial numbers and a shell date stamp of 68? (Excuse my noobiness)

Thanks again!

Posted on 10 years ago

The wrap seam on my 1963 Ludwig Hollywood gold sparkle kit 16X16 floor tom is doing the same thing. The seams on all the other drums are fine.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 10 years ago

Oops! I didn't see any numbers on the badge photos you posted. If they are numbered then that is how you will date the kit.

> Clamp as in directly clamp the inlay to the hoop?

Yes, clamp down the ends of the strips. You don't have to clamp the entire strip, just the ends. If you allow the glue to get 'tacky' before applying the strip, it will adhere better as you lay it/press it, into the channel. It'll 'grab' the hoop right away. For clamping, use simple scissor-style spring clamps. They are cheap and readily available.

> am I able to get these products at a local hardware store?

I ordered the seam filler online, so I'm not sure if a local hardware store will carry it. Try one of the larger chain stores; Home Depot, Lowes etc.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

From GG Vintage

The wrap seam on my 1963 Ludwig Hollywood gold sparkle kit 16X16 floor tom is doing the same thing. The seams on all the other drums are fine.

Hmm, interesting. Its more of an eyesore than anything because the rest of the wrap seems very in tact which I'm very thankful for!

Posted on 10 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Oops! I didn't see any numbers on the badge photos you posted. If they are numbered then that is how you will date the kit. > Clamp as in directly clamp the inlay to the hoop? Yes, clamp down the ends of the strips. You don't have to clamp the entire strip, just the ends. If you allow the glue to get 'tacky' before applying the strip, it will adhere better as you lay it/press it, into the channel. It'll 'grab' the hoop right away. For clamping, use simple scissor-style spring clamps. They are cheap and readily available.> am I able to get these products at a local hardware store? I ordered the seam filler online, so I'm not sure if a local hardware store will carry it. Try one of the larger chain stores; Home Depot, Lowes etc.John

Not a problem! I was just confused for a minute haha!

Thank you SO much for all of your masterful insight and wisdom John! It is MUCH appreciated! I'll post some pics when I finish them!

I may also be trying out the Ludwig Atlas Anchor spurs because the straight spurs just arent doin it for me, the atlas anchor will be a nice fix and easily removable should I resell the kit!

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here