Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Need Help With Ludwig Stuff

Whats the best way to restore a champagne sparkle finish. What do I have to use. Also when repainting the inside of drums does it totally devalue the set? What type of paint should I use for the interiors of 64-65 drums and what paint should I use for the bass drum hoops?

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

If the wrap is faded, then there really isn't much that you can do. But the thing that's more important to a collector is that the wrap is tight and original. So, just a good cleaning is the best approach, in my opinion.

As far as the interior paint. Again, leave it original even if it's not in the best shape.

Bass drum hoops -okay, I'll probably get an argument on this one, but, again, unless the hoops are REEEEAAAALLLY bad, I leave them alone. I'm not sure of the exact brand of paint but it's a semi-gloss black enamel -likely nothing special.

I approach collecting vintage drums in the same manner that some friends of mine approach collecting vintage guitars. They look for all-original and that's what they will pay extra for. Maybe drums are a bit different, but I'm banking on the chance that in the distant future, drum sets that are completely (and I mean completely) unaltered will be the most sought after ones. I could be wrong.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here