Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Need Help with Ludwig Double Tom Mount Urgent!

I took the toms off to but a new resonant head on and when I put the tom mount back on, it will not tighten down. I am attaching some photos of the mount and the hardware. There is a small threaded sleeve and I am not sure how it is assembled to the mount or if it is broken. Any help greatly appreciated. Checking ebay for fast shipment of replacement mount.

Thanks

3 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Like many, it appears that your mount stripped out at some time. That is a larger and incorrect style bolt as compared to the original. Looks like the threaded part is an insert that someone put in the mount to accept a new bolt. If you can get the threaded part to stay in the mount, you'll be set again.

Good news is that the new replacements mounts from Ludwig are readily available and are inexpensive. They would work with everything that you have there with no extra holes or modifications.

Mike

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the help. I was coming to a similar conclusion about the threaded part coming loose. I would need to get a new one by Tuesday.

Posted on 8 years ago

Is the hole in the mount supposed to be threaded to accept a bolt? Maybe it was drilled out after it was stripped because the bolt is too small for the hole. I will see if I can get the threads of the insert to go back into the hole. I think I need to tap the hole.

Thanks for the help. I also bid on a new mount on eBay but I have contacted the seller to see if he will ship for next day delivery.

Posted on 8 years ago

You are correct. The mount itself was threaded in the casting. They are bad about stripping out. Sometimes you can get an insert like that to screw back in just like it came out.

Mike

Posted on 8 years ago

My son is bringing me an M8X1.25 tap so I can try and re-thread the hole to accept the insert. If that works I will be back in business. I also bought a mount as a backup plan.

Thanks for the great and fast help!

Posted on 8 years ago

Update. The insert is shot so I will replace the whole bolt with an M8X1.25. I will need to enlarge the hole in the piece that tighens against the Tom bracket. The good news is that the new bolt fits a 7/16 inch wrench like everything else on my 65 Super Classic.

Posted on 8 years ago

Here is the fix.

Thanks for all the help.

1 attachments
76.7 kB
Posted on 8 years ago

That will work! If you bought one of Ludwig's new ones, you will really like it. They made some nice changes in the design but yet don't stand out as being brand new and out of place.

Mike

Posted on 8 years ago

Mike,

I'll see how my fix holds up and I also bought another one on eBay as a back up. I will check out what Ludwig has as cwell

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here