Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Need help with a Slingerland set

I just got a Slingerland drum set and needed to find out more information about it. It looks like it was made in the early 80's. It has Slingerland Black Gold label on the base drumhead. All the lugs and rims are gold and the shells are probably Black Gloss. Judging from what I have seen on the vintage site, It has a Niles badge that would put it around 81'-84' with the serial number that collaborates that. It should be in the Spirit Line since it has the grey speckeled coating on the inside of the shells. Believe it or not I got it with all the hardwear (two crash, one ride, hi-hats all zildjian, seat, and other goodies) for $250. I do want to have an idea of how much it's worth but this baby sounds too good to ever sell. I can post a pic once I find out where I burried my digital camera. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Piemichael:

Yes, Slingerland's 1982 - 1984 Black Gold Series. Spirit 3-ply shells and hardware, Black Gloss with brass-plated hardware. Brass-plated steel wrap over wood snare drum, matching hardware, cymbals and sticks. Interiors either charcoal or clear. If you tell us the first few digits of your serial numbers we might be able to pin the date down further. Flyer below.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

Well thank you for the reply DrCJW. The ad helped a bit with the identity. The only problem now is that it does not have all the original hardware. Looking at the ad, the cymbals, regular harware, and snare must have been replaced. They are not the golden color. It's ecspecially a disappointment on the snare. I don't like the sound of the metal Pearl replacement. I am currently serching for a decent priced maple once I can afford it. The interior is charcoal.

I read the article on the serial numbers so it does have the numbers issue but two are actually in sequence. Here they are. Toms all start with 5278 and the base is 555146. The hardware looks to be about the same time period but not the original.

The cymbals have been replaced by Zildian A's from the time period with the exception on the HH which came with 12" Vibra from Zanchi F&F. I am currently using 12 3/4" Zydjian K custom hibrids. I was having a problem finding a HH stand that would fit the Vibra's. I had to replace the HH stand which was too far gone to repair but judging by the ad, it wasn't an original anyway.

I know that for the sound of the set it was definantly worth the $250 paid for them but would you have any idea what they are actually worth? I am planing on getting them insured.

Posted on 17 years ago

Oh, one other issue. The toms are not as they are in the ad. The 12" is only about 12x9 instead of 12x12; the 13" is 13x10. Does that change anything?

Posted on 17 years ago

It blows my mind how every couple of years there is a new new thing. Power toms. There is no way you could set up a kit comfortably with toms that long not to mention the negative effect the extra distance must have on bottom head resonance.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here