Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Need help with a Rogers Super Ten...maple?

Hi! Newbie here. Heard about this place from the Drummer Cafe. Looks like a cool place!

I recently came across this drum at a friend's house. I'm not a Rogers guy, but I'd never heard of anything but a metal Super Ten. There are a couple of extra holes, and an unoriginal throw/butt. Can anyone tell me about this drum, or a ballpark idea of its value? I have pics, but they are too big to attach.

Thanks, Dan

Posted on 18 years ago

Hey Dan...

Rogers did indeed make a Maple SuperTen, but not until 1983, which was the LAST YEAR of manufacture for this drum. It would of course be the Big "R" badge, and it was available in 5X14, 61/2X14, and 8X14.

Regarding value, that's a tough call on this drum as the "desireable" SuperTens are the 1st run models that date back to 1973 as they carried the Oval Badge plus script logo. In addition,

Extra holes and a non original throw/butt devalue this drum even more. I think had the drum been ALL THERE with regard to parts and no extra holes, it would be nice for someone's collection as well as an excellent sounding player as these are the XP8 series of Maple shells,... ( 8 plies )... and they do sound good.

Out of curiosity, what size is this drum... 5", 61/2", or 8"?

Hope this was of help!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks, Tommy!

This drum doesn't have the big "R"; it has the oval, and it is a 5" drum. No paint inside. I may buy it from him. The reinforcing rings seem very thick.

Dan

Posted on 18 years ago

Can we get a pic of it to see exactly what it is?

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

I really want to, but the files are too big, and I'm unsure how to go about shrinking them. I'm a bit of a computer dummy...what do you recommend(I'm hoping for something....free? :))

Thanks again,

Dan

Posted on 18 years ago

Send me the pictures to my email

[email]vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com[/email]

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Dan...

Well... this is a bit of a mystery! Your drum shouldn't have an oval badge at all... I REALLY NEED to see this drum as there are many unanswered questions. Truthfully,

The 1st Maple SuperTens appeared in 1983, well after the Big "R" badges came into use. You may have something completely different here... The pictures should tell the story. Either way,

With the extra holes and wrong throw/butt, the drum probably is not worth a lot, BUT, that doesn't mean it may not be an excellent drum and a real player.

We will know more when you shoot some pictures over... Later!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Here are the images.

3 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Dan/Dave...

The pictures help quite a bit... but there is still a tad of a mystery on this drum. Here's why:

This shell looks to me to be a Dynasonic and not a SuperTen. SuperTens did not exist in Maple during this era, and, when they were finally offered in Maple, they were made up using 10 ply shells, no reinforcing rings. Also, Dan mentions there are no snare beds... well that was also a Dynasonic attribute, although technically speaking, the Dynasonic did have beds, but they were just .004 deep... the thickness of a business card! Anyway,

The badge is still the sticking point... the oval SuperTen badge was gone by 1976 when Rogers introduced the Big "R" badge... and the SuperTen WAS NOT available in a Maple shell until 1982. And as mentioned prior, the shells were 10 ply, no re-rings. So...

What exactly do you have here Dan? I really think it's a Dynasonic shell with the addition of a SuperTen oval badge. One way to tell is to remove one of the heads and count the plies of the shell... I bet you're going to find a 5 ply shell with 5 ply Maple re-rings. Also, can you see three pin holes where a script logo badge would have been attached? If you do have this configuration, it is a wood Dynasonic shell... but WHY the SuperTen badge?!

It has been mentioned many times that the American drum companies would build to order, or custom "one of's" from time to time... but Rogers didn't participate in that for the most part... but you just never really know.

I would keep it Dan... it is unusual, and I have no doubt it sounds good. I would like to know what you find when you pull those heads though!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks a bunch, Tommy and everyone!

Unfortunately, this drum belongs to a friend of mine who is a mastering engineer. It's not mine....yet. He is a non-drummer and has no idea what he has. I was working on some tape transfers to CD-R when he said "I have an old drum upstairs, wanna see it?" That common thing. And he brought down THAT drum! My eyes fell out of my head when I saw the Rogers lugs and the wooden shell. Then I saw the SuperTen badge, and that's when I knew I was out of my league. I knew that Dynasonics were 10 lug, with imperceptible snare beds. I'm with you, I think someone put on that badge. The pics don't show it, but it isn't perfectly flat.

Ha ha, if I were a greedy sort, I could have gotten it for 50 bucks, I'm sure, but he already gave me the price of the drum in studio time.

I feel like I'm on Antiques Roadshow, where I have to explain to my friend what the Dynasonic is, why wooden ones are valuable, etc. Ha ha! He's going to be one happy guy!

This is one great place. Thanks again!

Dan

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here