Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Need help with 1930's Ludwig

I recently purchased this Ludwig snare, which I think is a 1938 Standard model or so, and am looking for any additional information/confirmation. It's 6.5x14, and I think the finish is abalone pearl. The lugs, strainer, butt plate, bolts are all gold in color, while the rims are chrome.

I believe the rims are replacements, and was wondering where I might find matching correct rims. (I was thinking they should be double flanged instead of triple flanged, but I guess these could have been used on it).

It has the enamel Ludwig clould badge. Inside the shell is an ink stamped '3809' also.

I also have a matching Leedy Spartan bass drum (in abalone pearl), and a Ludwig tunable ride tom, also in the abalone pearl and gold hardware.

Any info would be appreciated (like, estimate for age, are they any good)

Thanks!

Rod

Posted on 17 years ago

They were made in September of 1938. They are VERY cool! How do they sound? Can you post more pics? Those are reaaaaaallly coool!Excited

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Yes, these would be rather rare in that finish and should be left alone.

Do not change them, drill holes or make them play like drums of today.

The rims will be hard to find in the gold plating. You should private message Mike Curotto on this forum and see if he has any.

They are very good and should remain a set like they are.

If you are looking for something different then you can easily sell these and buy drums that fit your playing and or style of drumming.

What is your plan with the drums?

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks. No, I wasn't planning on any modifications at all to them. I would like to find the correct rims for the snare, and other than a careful cleaning and proper adjustment to make them playable, I plan to leave them alone. OK, I guess I'd at least dust them from time to time...

They do need new heads to be playable, but the bass drum still has period calfskin heads on it, so I'll just leave those. (I'd save the old heads if they had any, but the snare and tom no longer have original or period heads on them).

Other than that, they'll be admired and occasionally played I guess, and join a couple keystone badge sets. I can't find much info on the abalone pearl finish, other than it was perhaps used from 1936-1938, and even then, apparently not too much. Anyone else have an example of this finish?

I suppose I should ask what a reasonable insurance value would be though, as I'm more used to 60's Ludwigs.

Thanks for the tip on contacting Mike.

RodinMN

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Thanks. No, I wasn't planning on any modifications at all to them. I would like to find the correct rims for the snare, and other than a careful cleaning and proper adjustment to make them playable, I plan to leave them alone. OK, I guess I'd at least dust them from time to time... They do need new heads to be playable, but the bass drum still has period calfskin heads on it, so I'll just leave those. (I'd save the old heads if they had any, but the snare and tom no longer have original or period heads on them).Other than that, they'll be admired and occasionally played I guess, and join a couple keystone badge sets. I can't find much info on the abalone pearl finish, other than it was perhaps used from 1936-1938, and even then, apparently not too much. Anyone else have an example of this finish? I suppose I should ask what a reasonable insurance value would be though, as I'm more used to 60's Ludwigs.Thanks for the tip on contacting Mike.RodinMN

Based on their rarity make sure you are confident on your careful cleaning approach. No disrespect if you have already dealt with delicate gold plating, etc.

Posted on 17 years ago

I'll try and get some more pictures to post.

Sorry to those that have sent private messages. I wasn't aware I had some waiting while I've been traveling. Thanks for all the interest.

Cheers.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here