Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Need help! What size and where can I find these tension rods

I recently got a MIJ tom that didn't have the bottom rim. I ordered a hoop but I need the tension rods. I have attached pics of one...it is 2 1/4" long and has more threads than my other old mij drums. Any info would be greatly appreciated! I only need 6

Posted on 7 years ago

Hard to tell if it's metric or "standard" thread. Do you have a tension rod from another drum to try? If it is a standard thread tension rod, the threads are 12-24 and easy to find. If it's a metric thread, it becomes more difficult to track them down. Keep in mind that tension rod length is measured from below the collar to the end of the thread, not the total length of the rod from top to bottom.

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

Contact member seantdrums. He set me up with MIJ tension rods.

-Doug

late 60s Ludwig Standard kit (blue strata)
late 60s Star kit (red satin)
Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago

Hi There i have quite a few floor tom MIJ rods plus the ones you want .......Got lots....Have a look at pics. Im in the UK.

Posted on 7 years ago

From seantdrums

Hi There i have quite a few floor tom MIJ rods plus the ones you want .......Got lots....Have a look at pics. Im in the UK.

If you want 6 let me know and the ones i have are of the highest quality not rusty or rubbish. I cant guarantee washers but im sure that prob is easily sorted. PM me and lets get the ball moving.......sean

Posted on 7 years ago

From seantdrums

If you want 6 let me know and the ones i have are of the highest quality not rusty or rubbish. I cant guarantee washers but im sure that prob is easily sorted. PM me and lets get the ball moving.......sean

pm sent...thanks!

Posted on 7 years ago

From idrum4fun

Hard to tell if it's metric or "standard" thread. Do you have a tension rod from another drum to try? If it is a standard thread tension rod, the threads are 12-24 and easy to find. If it's a metric thread, it becomes more difficult to track them down. Keep in mind that tension rod length is measured from below the collar to the end of the thread, not the total length of the rod from top to bottom.-Mark

I tried some from my Ludwig and Grestch kits but they were too big and didn't have as many threads. I had another MIJ kit but they were different threads as well. I believe these are metric.

Posted on 7 years ago

Have you checked to see if the upper rods thread into the lower lug casings? That rod looks cross-threaded...

Posted on 7 years ago

I just found some old tension rods with some paired lug nuts I had laying around... May not be original but they work!

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here