Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Need help speedking pedal

IHi, have a really clean vintage 60s ludwig speedking pedal that I am using on a 64 classic ludwig 22 bass drum . But the latch that screws down and holds the pedal to the bass drum wood rim keeps slipping off the rim even though it is tightened down very well onto the wood rim . How do I keep the pedal from slipping off the bass drum wood rim? Do I need to add some tape to the rim or something?? It just does not seem to stay in place. The pedal held in place fine on another vintage 60s ludwig bass drum I have . Need some help, thanks in advance . adam

Posted on 18 years ago

Just a note of clarification. When I tighten the pedal down on the wood hoop/rim, the pedal just doesn't stay firmly in place. It shifts to the side . The speedking pedal has two little metal stops/ridges which butt up to the rim, but the pedal shifts to one side . How do I get the pedal to stay in place? Do I stick a small piece of wood in there to get more pressure on the brace which tightens down? Not sure what to do. thanks

Posted on 18 years ago

the bass drum hoop is about 1/4 of an inch thick. I've never had this kind of problem where the pedal seems to be gripping the hoop tightly but it still moves out of adjustment when I play the thing . It just sort of wiggles to one side to where the pedal is not sitting straight - in line with the bass drum hoop .

Posted on 18 years ago

Interesting.

Maybe your technique is such that you are pushing the pedal to one side. Maybe just realign your technique a bit. If you are a forceful player with a big foot, then maybe the SpeedKing is not the best pedal choice.

Other than trying a "beefier" heavier-duty pedal like a DW 5000 or a Tama Iron Cobra...etc., you might consider some options like:

Applying some velcro strips to the front and heel of the SpeedKing and then getting a rug that allows the velcro to "hook itself into a solid, unmoving position.

Since over-tightening screws is NOT going to fix the problem, then you can stop doing that. That's only going to make things get worse.

You could try taping a couple of pieces of cardboard onto the bass hoop and then tightening...but there shouldn't be a good reason for the pedal to slip like that. I've never had this problem.

Also consider ways to keep the heel section in place -as opposed to trying to solve the problem by over-tightening. You could duct tape the heel to the floor if need be. But if it comes to that, I would just opt for a heavier-duty pedal.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

O Lugs ,Yes,thanks, that's great advice. I am going to try the things you suggested until I solve the problem. But one of your ideas should work fine. I'll try them and report back. thanks so much for answering my question

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here